PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Laptop has black screening

gordon99
April 21st, 2014, 10:32 PM
When trying to instal Ubuntu 12.04 using a genuine Ubuntu instal disk I got as far as the hard disk partition questions. I should explain I was hoping to dual boot with my existing Windows 7 OS. Being unsure how to proceed I decided to cancel the installation and selected the appropriate key. Immediately the screen went blank and I could not reboot. I now have a black screen. I have tried hard resets and pressing all manner of key combinations to try and get the laptop (a HP Compaq CQ56) to boot, all without success. At switch on the wireless key LED lights to indicate no wireless connection and the Caps Lock Key LED blinks continuously every 3 to 4 seconds. Also at switch on the laptop makes two pairs of bleeps (grunts) in quick succession. Can any knowledgeable person suggest what the problem might be and what I need to do to solve it ?

kc1di
April 21st, 2014, 10:38 PM
can you boot to the live ubuntu cd? if you can restart the install process and just reinstall. You've most like wipe the MBR boot clean and did not get far enough into the install to reinstall it.

gordon99
April 21st, 2014, 11:05 PM
I'm afraid not. I have tried a few times to boot from the Ubuntu CD. I have also tried the Laptop Recovery disk. The only disk I haven't tried I must admit is the windows 7 installation disk as I am reluctant to risk damage to that and anyway I doubt that the "computer gets to the point where it can read any CD.

kc1di
April 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM
I'm afraid you have a hardware problem not software. but here is HP page (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en#N215) that may be of help getting it going again. good luck.