PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade errors

PaulBx
April 21st, 2014, 07:28 PM
I pushed the upgrade button. It might be a good thing to suggest people backup before letting the upgrade proceed.

I had some errors:

paul@len780:/var/log/dist-upgrade$ grep -i error apt-term.log
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'window-close' for stock: Unrecognized image file format at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 148.
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'go-previous' for stock: Unrecognized image file format at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 148.
Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-cancel' for stock: Unrecognized image file format at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 148.
AppArmor parser error for /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.deliver in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.deliver at line 15: Could not open 'tunables/dovecot'
AppArmor parser error for /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.imap in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.imap at line 14: Could not open 'tunables/dovecot'
Installation finished. No error reported.

I thought that last line was rather amusing.

Those first errors were like this:

GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 148.

Needless to say, seeing "your installation is broken" is not confidence-inspiring. That file, loaders.cache, does in fact exist. I tried the suggested command even though I'm not sure what good it would do, the upgrade being done, but it would not permit me even though I used "sudo".

The latter errors looked like this:

Warning from profile /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser (/etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.chromium-browser) ptrace rules not enforced
Warning from profile chromium_browser_sandbox (/etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.chromium-browser) ptrace rules not enforced
AppArmor parser error for /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.deliver in /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.deliver at line 15: Could not open 'tunables/dovecot'
Found reference to variable pid, but is never declared

Not sure what that is about. I don't use chromium, and have uninstalled it. I did get an unasked-for copy of firefox and sylpheed with this upgrade (I use seamonkey). I can see getting them in a fresh install, but maybe the upgrade should not put them in.

grahammechanical
April 21st, 2014, 08:11 PM
It might be a good thing to suggest people backup before letting the upgrade proceed.

We advise that all the time on this forum. We even advise waiting until the rush has died down before upgrading. We especially advise to do a fresh install. I advise reverting the desktop back to its default look and deactivating proprietary video drivers

As regards that pixbuf error message I got that the other day. I have been running Trusty Tahr since the beginning and I have seen that message more than once and once the installation was broken until I ran that instruction but other times, as with the other day, it was a false alarm.

The upgrade process expects a default install and upgrades the default applications.

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders collects information about loadable modules for Gdk Pixbuf and writes it to the default cache file location.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/gdk-pixbuf.html

Regards.

monkeybrain20122
April 21st, 2014, 08:13 PM
Well it may be a even better idea to disable that button by default.
People should never be prompted to upgrade on impulse.

monkeybrain20122
April 21st, 2014, 08:17 PM
We advise that all the time on this forum. We even advise waiting until the rush has died down before upgrading. We especially advise to do a fresh install. I advise reverting the desktop back to its default look and deactivating proprietary video drivers

As regards that pixbuf error message I got that the other day. I have been running Trusty Tahr since the beginning and I have seen that message more than once and once the installation was broken until I ran that instruction but other times, as with the other day, it was a false alarm.

The upgrade process expects a default install and upgrades the default applications.

Regards.

We do, but not all Ubuntu users visit the forums and the popup will still urge them to upgrade. :) In fact there is not even a single mention of UF on the download page or the UF installation slide show.

PaulBx
April 21st, 2014, 10:46 PM
Yes, that was my point. I'm sure there is lots of good advice here. Where it needs to be, is in the Software Updater application. Or at the least, a link to a sticky thread going over the suggested steps and the considerations. I don't know how many times I've seen people bork their system on a major upgrade without having first backed up.