PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 14.04 download and installation

miho2
April 21st, 2014, 07:23 PM
Hi,
I am not so new to Linux and Ubuntu, although I have been using Mint for 3 years. I wanted to get back to Ubuntu with this new release (14.04 LTS) because I saw it 2 days ago at a friend's house and I loved it.
My problem is: I normally download the iso, burned it with Brasero, and then I tried to install. The process starts but it always stops, it never passes the 4 dots. I thought maybe it was corrupted, I downloaded again, burned a DVD again (wasted 4 DVD's, but the same always happened. Then I made a bootable USB, and tried with that, and the SAME THING HAPPENED????? The process strats, the Ubuntu appears and the 4 dots under, they start filling and emtying, and then stop again. Never has something like that happened. I have installed Ubuntu since 8.04 and Mint since Linux Mint 5, and the installation had always gone smooth. I really don't know what is wrong...maybe the iso file I am getting on the ununtu site is corrupted???
Please HELP!!!!

jdeca57
April 21st, 2014, 07:42 PM
The md5 (or other) checksum after a download may help. Personally I tend to skip that myself, but then again it is one reason why an installation fails and unless you downloaded 4+ times it is still the original that may be in fault. But OK, if the download was good there may be options you can give at boot: see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Danger_Monkey
April 21st, 2014, 08:01 PM
You might also want to run the LiveCD and see if it can run on your machine. I just d/l'd a fresh ISO, and it is fine on both Xen and VMWare. I did have trouble installing it on my Dell 700m, but that was a chipset issue, I had to muck with other things to get it to work.