PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] How do I get rid of IBUS

vrghost
April 21st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Have just installed lubuntu on a laptop to be used for general surfing, and having a nightmare with the IBUS application.
Basically, it breakes the input stream for applications such as Chromium, and considering that its job is to allow me to change input channel, the fact that it breaks it probably means that it is a bit of a waste of an application.

Any way, had to get that of my chest.

My problem is, how do I either uninstall it or remove it from auto start, because I have absolutely no use for the application, but it is stopping the user from being able to write.
If I try to uninstall it, it wants to uninstall Ubuntu-desktop at the same time, and kind of need the desktop I reckon.

kevjonesin
June 2nd, 2014, 05:28 AM
I also would like to remove ibus from lubuntu 14.04 (without breaking lubuntu-desktop). Ibus interferes with the chromium web-browser.

NOTE: The lubuntu 14.04 docs reccommend removal of ibus as a bug fix but do not provide information as to how to do so.

Known Issues

Installation

Some keyboard layouts may have problems (such as UK ones). You can workaround the problem by removing all the ibus-* packages (see 1284635 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1284635)))

quote via: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Lubuntu

vasa1
June 2nd, 2014, 06:32 AM
Go to Preferences > Language Support and change Keyboard input method system from ibus to none. Then log out and log in again.

vasa1
June 2nd, 2014, 06:39 AM
I also would like to remove ibus from lubuntu 14.04 (without breaking lubuntu-desktop). ...
BTW, "lubuntu-desktop" is only a metapackage and is not essential; if you get a notice it will be removed, all the applications will remain intact. "lubuntu-desktop" may be required only if you want to upgrade from 14.04 to 14.10 when the next version of Lubuntu becomes available. If you prefer to do a clean install, as many of us do, then it doesn't matter.

Some reading:
help.ubuntu.com/community/MetaPackages
ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12389408&postcount=5
www.mail-archive.com/lubuntu-desktop@lists.launchpad.net/msg03490.html
askubuntu.com/q/233662

kevjonesin
June 2nd, 2014, 07:19 AM
Ah, turns out that as lubuntu-desktop is a just meta-package I was able to remove it without affecting other packages. I was then able to remove ibus packages. (thanks to a tip on lubuntu's freenode IRC)

TheFu
February 25th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Just wanted to add that removing ibus and the ibus libs fixed an issue with keepassx autotype where it shoved garbage into the 2nd field. So far, I haven't seen any bad results elsewhere, but my desktop is a pure WM, no DE, setup. X/Windows as it was meant to be 15 yrs ago. ;)