PDA

View Full Version : Password Crazy

sam-c
April 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM
With Social Networks and Smartphones and Real Cyber Wars Systems are getting Paranoid Checking and Rechecking, sometimes for a small message most of the cost is the checking :(:)Discuss
Uncle Sam

CharlesA
April 22nd, 2014, 06:52 AM
What?

Use a unique strong password for each site and you'll be fine.

Linuxratty
April 22nd, 2014, 01:48 PM
What?

Use a unique strong password for each site and you'll be fine.
Doesn't everyone do this?

CharlesA
April 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
Doesn't everyone do this?

Depends. I've seen some people use some really bad passwords before.

I suppose that's why they invented password managers. :p

Elfy
April 22nd, 2014, 03:04 PM
Who needs a password manager to manage passw0rd ?

Joeb454
April 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
Who needs a password manager to manage passw0rd ?

You need a symbol in that to make it more secure ;)

deadflowr
April 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM
You need a symbol in that to make it more secure ;)

What about the ? .

I thought that was the symbol.

HermanAB
April 23rd, 2014, 06:55 PM
I had to fix so many systems where someone thought it was really kewl to use a 4 character password.

Ubuntu is one of the assinine distros that doesn't enforce proper password length...

kurja
April 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM
What drives me nuts is when something demands that I use upper & lower case plus numbers or symbols in a password. And then they're supposed to get changed periodically. It's just not possible to remember them all.

So, yes, I use some silly passwords and I'm using the same ones at a couple places.

sffvba[e0rt
April 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Ubuntu is one of the asinine* distros that doesn't enforce proper password length...

Several different distro's I have tried have some indications of password strength without enforcing specific requirements on the end-user.

*fixed that for you ;)

CharlesA
April 24th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Several different distro's I have tried have some indications of password strength without enforcing specific requirements on the end-user.

*fixed that for you ;)

Yep. Debian and Fedora do the same thing - they'll warn but let the user choose.

matt_fussell2
April 26th, 2014, 01:46 AM
If more people were pointed to xkcd (http://xkcd.com/936/), this might not be an issue.

kurja
April 26th, 2014, 08:13 AM
If more people were pointed to xkcd (http://xkcd.com/936/), this might not be an issue.

Exactly. Demanding upper case, numbers and so on is what drives people to use one password all over without ever changing it because it would be impossible to remember.

rewyllys
April 26th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a password manager or managers that work in both Linux and Windows?

bapoumba
April 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Can anyone recommend a password manager or managers that work in both Linux and Windows?
https://www.keepassx.org/

bashiergui
April 26th, 2014, 04:19 PM
What drives me nuts is when something demands that I use upper & lower case plus numbers or symbols in a password. And then they're supposed to get changed periodically. It's just not possible to remember them all.

So, yes, I use some silly passwords and I'm using the same ones at a couple places.
Noted ;)

linuxyogi
April 27th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I use unique passwords for all my accounts. I use KeePassX but I usually don't change passwords unless there's news about something like the openssl bug.

john_burns2
April 27th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Last company I worked for (as a project coordinator) let me remotely log on to their computer system with the company laptop. Bloody password had to be changed every month, with both u/case, l/case, numbers and symbols used in the new password.. They told me I had limited system access, but I could access the whole system, including accounts, emails, personnel, wages, etc. :lolflag:

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 28th, 2014, 12:31 AM
did you have write access? as in access to alter everyone wages

bashiergui
April 28th, 2014, 03:51 AM
Last company I worked for (as a project coordinator) let me remotely log on to their computer system with the company laptop. Bloody password had to be changed every month, with both u/case, l/case, numbers and symbols used in the new password.. They told me I had limited system access, but I could access the whole system, including accounts, emails, personnel, wages, etc. :lolflag:
Oh you worked at Target?

poet1
April 28th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Pen and paper. :)

kurja
April 28th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Pen and paper reminds me of that curiously, not long ago it was a strong no-no to write down passwords - and now password manager software is all ok? I don't get that particular change of heart.

HermanAB
April 29th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Well, a password manager has one master password per database and the database it encrypted. So you could use two databases - one for super secure stuff and another for garden variety stuff and save the database on dropbox or copy.com and then access it from all your devices. I have over 100 passwords, so Keepass is the only way to preserve my sanity.

bapoumba
April 29th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Well, a password manager has one master password per database and the database it encrypted. So you could use two databases - one for super secure stuff and another for garden variety stuff and save the database on dropbox or copy.com and then access it from all your devices. I have over 100 passwords, so Keepass is the only way to preserve my sanity.

+1 :)

CharlesA
April 30th, 2014, 02:12 PM

Same here. It also helps me not have to think about creating a strong password. :lolflag: