PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Freeze after login and purple tiled screen of death

Babak
April 21st, 2014, 04:53 AM
I was able to successfully install ubuntu 14.04 (fresh install dual boot with XP) and was greeted with the login screen. Upon entering the password the screen turned into a mash of thin puple tiles arranged in a diagonal fashion covering the whole screen.

After some initial googling, I found that it may have something to do with the video card:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/449479/ubuntu-14-04-lts-crashes-after-login

Suggested solution:
"When the computer loaded and I saw the ubuntu splash screen, I held the shift key until I see the kernel loader. I chose the advanced settings and loaded the kernel in recovery mode. I added the WiFi and went to the ubuntu menu [super button] and typed "Additional Drivers". Then I change my video driver from X.Org X server to NVIDIA. I have a GeForce 6150SE Video Card."

I do not understand the recommended solution because I'm a total noob. I need it broken down into much simpler and actionable steps - that's assuming this is the solution to begin with! What is recovery mode? what is super button? etc.

My video card/video chip: nVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Also, I'm getting a message at startup saying something about an unreliable cpu thermal sensor and the monitoring being disabled

Babak
April 21st, 2014, 04:06 PM
any help appreciated

Babak
April 21st, 2014, 05:03 PM
so apparently ubuntu has been borked for a while now when it comes to nvidia drivers? after some googling, I found articles like this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/372353/nvidia-driver-update-causes-unbootable-system

wow, I'm really disappointed. I was beginning to think ubuntu had matured as an OS :(

what gives?

Babak
April 21st, 2014, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like my second attempt to install ubuntu has also been for naught.

The first time was 7 years ago. How foolish of me to think that ubuntu had actually managed to move forward towards anything resembling a proper OS that a person without an engineering or computer science degree could install and use!

I'm not sure if canonical understands this elemental truth or even cares. Oh well.

Maybe I'll check back in in another 7-10 years. But I'm not holding my breath!

peace

Babak
April 21st, 2014, 09:14 PM
by way of clarification, I'm not criticizing linux at all. I've used and installed numerous linux mint versions and they have all installed and run flawlessly for years and years.

but every time I try to install or update or do anything with ubuntu it is a crapfest.

how is it that linux mint just works when it is actually based on ubuntu? and how is it that ubuntu is so messed up?

the issue is the organization running each distro and the decisions they make.

linux mint has so far navigated the waters with uncanny wisdom. sadly, cannonical reminds me of Ralph Wiggum