PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Desktop locked after upgrade to 14.04

bkline
April 21st, 2014, 03:40 AM
I upgraded one of my workstations to Trusty and now all of a sudden after a certain amount of inactivity the desktop locks, even though I have the screensaver settings set to never do that. Has the latest version of Xfce added a second place I need to configure that?

Toz
April 21st, 2014, 01:19 PM
In an upgrade scenario, light-locker is added and enabled as the new locking mechanism but xscreensaver is not disabled and/or removed. You probably have both running (there are two screensaver entries in Settings Manager). You should kill the process of one of them and uncheck the corresponding entry in Settings Manager -> Session and Startup -> Application startup so it doesn't autostart.

Optionally, you can uninstall one of them.

As a heads up, there is currently an active bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-power-manager/+bug/1303736) with light-locker that may affect you where the screen goes blank after unlock.

bkline
April 21st, 2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks, Toz. I'll uninstall one of them. It would be nice if they didn't introduce these little surprises without prominent notification.

ccrs8
April 22nd, 2014, 03:39 AM
I'm having a similar problem except that I did a clean install of Xubuntu 14.04. Attached are both my Light Locker Settings and my Display settings. These are the only two settings sections that I can find regarding any sort of session locking. But my screen is getting locked after 15 minutes of inactivity, even if that inactivity is watching a movie (which xscreensaver in versions 13.10 and older never considered inactivity). So I guess the questions are:

1) Where can I find the setting that is making my screen lock after 15 minutes?
2) Is it possible to disable this when a movie is playing?

Light Locker:

Display:

bkline
April 22nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
You might try uninstalling light locker, the newly introduced variable. It's know to have bugs.

ccrs8
April 22nd, 2014, 11:42 AM
You might try uninstalling light locker, the newly introduced variable. It's know to have bugs.

My 14.04 is a new install - I no longer have xscreensaver on my machine.

bkline
April 22nd, 2014, 12:16 PM
Try this:

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver