PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ALL Ubuntu based installers fail

RCXtest
April 20th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I have tried many versions of Ubuntu (plain, K, X, Mint Cin., Mint Mate), and other Ubuntu based dsitros, like Elementary and Linux Lite.

Every one failes to install. I have done MD5 checksums, I have redownloaded repeatedly, I have used torrents. I have tried burning CDs, DVDs, and booting from different USBs.

Every installer fials, mostly as I am inputting user info (name, username, computer name).

All are error 5, failed to copy from source.

Any disto NOT using Ubuntu based installer works fine. I have installed Fedora, Opensuse, Slackware, Arch and Debian.

Processor is AMD Athlon II X3.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim_Kajder
April 20th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Not an expert here, but had a similar experience with an eleven year old Windows XP computer having nVidia graphics chip. Unbuntu and Linux Mint would not run on that computer (black screen after install), but another distribution (PCLinuxOS, based upon Red Hat, I believe) ran after install. Although it was slow because of limited capability of the older hardware, so I decided to donate that computer. You might consider posting more details about your hardware (video chip, ethernet) so that others can offer suggestions.

QIII
April 20th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Hello!

Could you perhaps attempt to install from the "Alternate ISO" (text based) and snap a photo with your cell phone if you encounter that error. It might show some more info that we might find useful for helping you.

It might also provide some feedback for Canonical.

Cheers.