PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Samsung ATIV 9 Lite

aridus
April 20th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I have purchased a Samsung ATIV 9 Lite, which as a 128 GB SSD and Windows 8.1. I wish to install Ubuntu 14.04, removing Windows (there is insufficient hard disk space to run both well). I have read http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI but do not have a complete understanding of how to install Ubuntu without messing up the partitions. I have determined how to boot from a USB, and by trying Ubuntu and using Gparted I can see that the partitions are:

sda1: ntfs, Windows RE tools, 499 MB, hidden
sda2: fat32, SYSTEM, 300 MB, boot
sda3: unknown, blank, 128 MB, msftres
sda4: ntfs, blank, 98 MB, msftdata
sda5: ntfs, SAMSUNG_REC2, 18 GB, hidden diag
sda6: FAT32, SAMSUNG_REC, 1 GB, hbidden diag

When attempting to do an install from the USB no operating system is recognized (do not know why but it does trouble me).

Herewith my questions:

I guess that sda2 is the efi boot partition and that during installation I should set this to 'efi boot partition'?
Should I leave sda1, sda3 and sda6 untouched (I don't know what they are for)?
I presume sda5 contains a reinstallable version of Windows? Should I leave it untouched?
sda4 is where I presume I can install Ubuntu (presumably creating two parititions, one for / and one for swap?

With grateful thanks for any help.

Martin

Ubi_one_2014
April 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
as far i understand, start the installer, and let ubuntu decide how the partitions will be handled

let ubuntu choose the disk where is will be installed, when you have 1 Hd this is very easy
backup everything before you do this

aridus
April 20th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Many thanks - this was my anticipation but it does not decide (options provided are erase disk, or do something else).

With thanks, Martin

fantab
April 20th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Post the output of the following commands from Live Ubuntu:

sudo parted -l
sudo fdisk -l

And also post a full window screen shot of your HDD from Windows, if possible.

Ubi_one_2014
April 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Many thanks - this was my anticipation but it does not decide (options provided are erase disk, or do something else).

With thanks, Martin

i have to recall some memories
but is ubuntu not able to erase all partitions and create new installation environment, like new partitions by itself

aridus
April 20th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Many thanks and please see below (unsure what, exactly you want me to take a screenshot
of in Windows):

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA SAMSUNG MZMTD128 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 128GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 524MB 523MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 524MB 839MB 315MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
3 839MB 973MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 973MB 107GB 106GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata
5 107GB 127GB 20.2GB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
6 127GB 128GB 1074MB fat32 Basic data partition hidden, diag

Model: (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1944MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1855kB 1944MB 1942MB primary fat32 boot, lba

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 128.0 GB, 128035676160 bytes
256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 15505 cylinders, total 250069680 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9cb0db1c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT

Disk /dev/sdb: 1944 MB, 1944059904 bytes
46 heads, 45 sectors/track, 1834 cylinders, total 3796992 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000f237c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 3624 3796991 1896684 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

aridus
April 20th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I have two options: (1) Erase everything and install ubuntu, or (2) do something else (the latter requires me to choose the correct parititions for efi, boot etc.). I could do (1) but I am concerned that one or more of the present six partitions is(are) required for booting into the bios etc.

With thanks, Martin

fantab
April 20th, 2014, 05:22 PM
In windows we have 'Disk Management Utility', if we can see what partition is what, ie which partitions is C: and so on, then we can advice you how to go about partitioning for dual boot...
You have 128gb SSD, if I were you I would use 100gb for Windows C: and remainder GB for Ubuntu '/'.

Did windows come pre-installed on the HDD? What is your machine, laptop/desktop?

However if you want to remove Win8 in favor of Ubuntu then it does not matter... you delete all the partitions on the HDD and create new ones for Ubuntu. If you have DATA to BACKup, then do it.
An easiest way to format the entire disk earasing all partitions and data on it, it to 'create a new partition table'... you can do this with gparted.
Gparted Tutorial (http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html) [the info is bit old but vastly relavent].

You can set up Ubuntu partitions as:
250Mb EFI FAT32 'boot' flag (don't forget to place the 'boot' flag on the partition)
25Gb Ubuntu '/' Ext4
2-4Gb Linux SWAP
All the remaining GB '/home' Ext4.

fantab
April 20th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I have two options: (1) Erase everything and install ubuntu, or (2) do something else (the latter requires me to choose the correct parititions for efi, boot etc.). I could do (1) but I am concerned that one or more of the present six partitions is(are) required for booting into the bios etc.

With thanks, Martin

Yes you can choose the first option and erase windows and install Ubuntu. This will NOT create a separate /home partition, just '/' and swap. With only '/' partition all your files ie system files and your personal data will be on one partition. This not good for the safety of your DATA. You might loose it if for some reason you have to re-install ubuntu.

I recommend that you have a separate /home partition for you personal data and keep system files separate in '/' partition.

Partitions are NOT involved in booting BIOS, its the other way round.

aridus
April 20th, 2014, 05:32 PM
In windows we have 'Disk Management Utility', if we can see what partition is what, ie which partitions is C: and so on, then we can advice you how to go about partitioning for dual boot...
You have 128gb SSD, if I were you I would use 100gb for Windows C: and remainder GB for Ubuntu '/'.

Did windows come pre-installed on the HDD? What is your machine, laptop/desktop?

However if you want to remove Win8 in favor of Ubuntu then it does not matter... you delete all the partitions on the HDD and create new ones for Ubuntu. If you have DATA to BACKup, then do it.
An easiest way to format the entire disk earasing all partitions and data on it, it to 'create a new partition table'... you can do this with gparted.
Gparted Tutorial (http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html) [the info is bit old but vastly relavent].

You can set up Ubuntu partitions as:
250Mb EFI FAT32 'boot' flag (don't forget to place the 'boot' flag on the partition)
25Gb Ubuntu '/' Ext4
2-4Gb Linux SWAP
All the remaining GB '/home' Ext4.

Many thanks indeed. I don't want to dual boot and therefore I will set up the partitions as you indicate in the last four lines. My only concern is whether any of the present 6 partitions are essential for the computer to boot into its bios).

With thanks, Martin

fantab
April 20th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Like I said, parittions only become active after BIOS, in your case UEFI...

If you feel concerned then make a clone or backup of your existing partitions. There are plenty of Windows specific tools to get the job done. Here's one (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx).

But you don't need that just erase the HDD and recreate partitions. Go through the gparted tutorial.

If you 'create a new partition table' then make sure it is GPT [GUID partition table] and not msdos.

aridus
April 20th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Yes you can choose the first option and erase windows and install Ubuntu. This will NOT create a separate /home partition, just '/' and swap. With only '/' partition all your files ie system files and your personal data will be on one partition. This not good for the safety of your DATA. You might loose it if for some reason you have to re-install ubuntu.

I recommend that you have a separate /home partition for you personal data and keep system files separate in '/' partition.

Partitions are NOT involved in booting BIOS, its the other way round.

Many thanks and all understood. At the moment I can get into a screen that allows me to do things (such as turning secure boot on or off) by holding down F2 when the computer boots. This is what I would call the Bios, although I do not understand how machines using efi function (it doesn't seem to be quite the same). If I follow your excellent recommendation to use four partitions I was afraid that I would lose this function on F2 - but looking at it now it seems to be a Samsung thing rather than a Windows thing (if that makes sense). There therefore seems no problem in redoing the partitions with gparted.

Again, with thanks for your knowledgeable help, Martin

aridus
April 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM

If you feel concerned then make a clone or backup of your existing partitions. There are plenty of Windows specific tools to get the job done. Here's one (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx).

But you don't need that just erase the HDD and recreate partitions. Go through the gparted tutorial.

If you 'create a new partition table' then make sure it is GPT [GUID partition table] and not msdos.

Apologies - I think my last reply overlapped with this one. I will go ahead and use gparted.

Yours, Martin

aridus
April 22nd, 2014, 04:51 PM

Many thanks and I have now partitioned the disk as you suggested and successfully installed Ubuntu. It restarts in the usual way following installation and appears to run fine. If I then shut the computer down, and restart, it will not boot (a message about all boot options tried appears). This thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203824 covers the subject in part but no matter how I change the bios settings, the laptop does not boot and the 'all boot options tried' message appears. The last lines http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203824 refer to potential problems with ' UEFI doesn't detect the GRUB bootloader'.

I have reinstalled Ubuntu in the hope that I could repair the boot but am now unsure how to (the boot-repair tool mentioned at the end of the thread does not seem to be available).

If you or anybody else have any further ideas I would be grateful!

With thanks.

aridus
April 22nd, 2014, 07:21 PM
I am replying to myself here... On second thoughts it seems more appropriate to close this thread, as the subject is solved. I will open a new post with the new subject.