PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [Kubuntu 14.04] Installed Synaptic & uninstalled Muon.

zapjb
April 20th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Moun was driving me bonkers, even choosing repositories was taxing. So I installed Synaptic & uninstalled Muon. Once I sorted the repos in Synaptic (at least I think so) everything's easy-peasy.

Is this ok? Will I miss some critical updates? I wouldn't think so.

For me it's so much easier to thin down my system looking through & choosing in Synaptic.

oldos2er
April 20th, 2014, 04:30 PM
If Synaptic's working for you, use it. Synaptic and Muon are both just front-ends to the package management system, so you're not missing anything.

zapjb
April 20th, 2014, 09:10 PM
SOLVED

I was informed at Kubuntu to make sure I still have muon-updater installed, to get update notifications, which I won't get via synaptic on its own. As for repo management, to install the package software-properties-gtk, to get some ubuntu-specific options, such as ppa management, release upgrade notifications, and other taxing tasks.

As soon I sorted the above I'm back with Synaptic which I've been using for over 10 years so it's much easier to navigate. And to uninstall all the packages that weren't needed.