PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pendrivelinux

david-oldcolo
April 20th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I am about to ask one of the duller questions ever but I honestly have not found an answer. So pardon...

I create installs of Ubuntu using Pendrivelinux, no problem. The mem sticks boot just fine. One of the selections in the Desktop is always "Install Ubuntu". So it looks like all I did was create an installation media. Further, when I try to save anything, like creating a document, adding a bookmark to the default Firefox, anything, it is never saved to the boot USB stick. So I *know* all I am doing is creating a boot install disk.

Here's the numbing question.... how can I create a USB boot drive that allows me to use it, save to it, etc etc etc?? Any links to How_tos would be great. I follow the instructions on the PendriveLinux site and it indicates how easy it is to make a boot USB drive that reads, writes, and so on... but I all I get is the boot install mode.

Help? tx

pfeiffep
April 20th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I am about to ask one of the duller questions ever but I honestly have not found an answer. So pardon...

I create installs of Ubuntu using Pendrivelinux, no problem. The mem sticks boot just fine. One of the selections in the Desktop is always "Install Ubuntu". So it looks like all I did was create an installation media. Further, when I try to save anything, like creating a document, adding a bookmark to the default Firefox, anything, it is never saved to the boot USB stick. So I *know* all I am doing is creating a boot install disk.

Here's the numbing question.... how can I create a USB boot drive that allows me to use it, save to it, etc etc etc?? Any links to How_tos would be great. I follow the instructions on the PendriveLinux site and it indicates how easy it is to make a boot USB drive that reads, writes, and so on... but I all I get is the boot install mode.

Help? tx

The memstick is a "live installation" which is intended for you to try the OS and discover whether there are compatibility issues with your hardware. It is a highly compressed version of the OS which is not intended for log term use, for extended tests you can make your memstick persistent. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence) You can install the full OS to a memstick to achieve running a fully "installed" OS. Read this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1840379) which provide guidance.