PDA

View Full Version : Get "yourname"@christianubuntu.com email FREE

mhancoc7
July 24th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Hi all,
Well my little project Ubuntu Christian Edition (http://www.christianubuntu.com) is up and running and is going well so far. It has at least attracted quite a bit of attention. My site traffic is up for all my sites so that's good.

I remembered someone suggesting that having a "yourname@ubuntu.com" email would be cool. I agree it would be awesome. That got me to thinking. I am using a mail forwarding service for the ChristianUbuntu.com email. Now I only need a few emails so I figured that I could give others the use of this service. If you would like to have one just PM with your email account and with the "yourname@christianubuntu.com" account that you would like to have. I of course will keep your email address confidential and would never think of using it for any other purpose than to set up your new ChristianUbuntu.com email address.

I am not sure if there is a limit to the number of accounts that I can setup. I will just take them on a first come first serve basis based on the PM timestamps.

God Bless, Jereme

frodon
July 25th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Well, all the flamewar posts have been moved to the jail to allow a fresh start for this thread.

Please don't post here if you can't moderate yourself.

I remind that the cafe is not the place for political/religious discussions.

woedend
July 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM
thank you frodon! they are just forwarding addresses i take it? ill ask around and get back to you...if they arent forwarding addresses what are the details?

mhancoc7
July 25th, 2006, 01:20 PM
thank you frodon! they are just forwarding addresses i take it? ill ask around and get back to you...if they arent forwarding addresses what are the details?

Yes it is just an email forwarder. I just figured some people who are interested might want one.

Thanks frodon for opening this thread back up. I really appreciate it.

Jereme

fuscia
July 25th, 2006, 02:59 PM
my neighbors (devout christians) would get a kick out of getting an email from me (their favorite agnostic, deeply convicted in his uncertainty) from such an address.

mhancoc7
July 25th, 2006, 03:33 PM
my neighbors (devout christians) would get a kick out of getting an email from me (their favorite agnostic, deeply convicted in his uncertainty) from such an address.

Well it is just an email forward. In other words you could give out your @christianubuntu.com email address, but when you send emails you will be sending them from your actual email account. I am sure there is a way on your end to mask your email so it only displays the @christianubuntu.com email address. I am just not sure how.
Thanks, Jereme

Terracotta
July 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Well it is just an email forward. In other words you could give out your @christianubuntu.com email address, but when you send emails you will be sending them from your actual email account. I am sure there is a way on your end to mask your email so it only displays the @christianubuntu.com email address. I am just not sure how.
Thanks, Jereme

In Kontact for example you can set which e-mail adres should be displayed. (edit kmail) I'm sure evolution has the same options.

mhancoc7
July 25th, 2006, 03:56 PM
In Kontact for example you can set which e-mail adres should be displayed. (edit kmail) I'm sure evolution has the same options.

Thanks, I knew there was a way, I have just never done it.

Jereme

mhancoc7
July 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I didn't even think to mention it, but if anyone wants a full fledged Christian web based email account my other site www.WhatWouldJesusDownload.com (http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com) provides them free. You can get a @whatwouldjesusdownload.com account. It is ad based. I keep in contact with the provider to try and ensure the ad content is appropriate as well.

I just figured that I should mention it.

Thanks, Jereme

mhancoc7
July 25th, 2006, 05:15 PM
This 'christmasss edition' sucks. I am in totally loving ubuntu here, but this stupid religion thing just plain sucks.

Think abt it ppl, what is the point of bringing a christian edition? All I can think of is you would be themeing, configuring sounds, icons, cursors etc.. what is the need for seperate 'edition', all this can be done by a simple bash script.

Isn't it obvious what this thing is really about..

OOh , how sweet, this is not a place for religious discussions but linux has got everything to do with a bloody religion?? Hilarious!!

I am not discussing religion. I am merely trying to provide something for those who are Christian. I don't even think you are trying to see the value in this project.:(
Jereme

JoWilly
July 25th, 2006, 05:19 PM
This 'christmasss edition' sucks. I am in totally loving ubuntu here, but this stupid religion thing just plain sucks.

Think abt it ppl, what is the point of bringing a christian edition? All I can think of is you would be themeing, configuring sounds, icons, cursors etc.. what is the need for seperate 'edition', all this can be done by a simple bash script.

Isn't it obvious what this thing is really about..

OOh , how sweet, this is not a place for religious discussions but linux has got everything to do with a bloody religion?? Hilarious!!

This is your opinion, you have a right to express it. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't respect other people's opinions.

If you are not interested, just pass on to other threads.

As far as I am concerned, Christian Ubuntu is a great way to attract new people who would never try or even know of ubuntu otherwise. There are many churches and people who are living very closely with their religion and would certainly be interested in an Os for them instead of just plain windows or Mac; this is a potential of millions of users.

If I follow your thought, why would we need edubunto, kubuntu, xubuntu ...?

mhancoc7
July 25th, 2006, 05:22 PM
This is your opinion, you have a right to express it. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't respect other people opinions.

If you are not interested, just pass on to other threads.

As far as I am concerned, Christian Ubuntu is a great way to attract new people who would never try or even know of ubuntu otherwise. There are many churches and people who are living very closely with their religion and would certainly be interested in an Os for them instead of just plain windows or Mac; this is a potential of millions of users.

Thank you, I really appreciate you following up on that post. I like to hear other peoples opinions even when they differ from my own. It is just hard when people just attack blindly.
God Bless, Jereme

forrestcupp
July 25th, 2006, 07:49 PM
There are 2.1 billion Christians in the world. That is 33% of the population. This group outnumbers every other religion. The non-religious make up 16% of the population. I'm not trying to attack anyone or start a fight about religions; I'm just stating that it is not unreasonable to make a distribution focused toward the people that fit in the majority religious group. If people who disagree with Christianity can't respect Christians, then why should they expect Christians to respect them.

I looked at your webpage, and I think this distro has a lot of potential. It will be good when you can add more software along with gnomesword.

Terracotta
July 25th, 2006, 09:12 PM
There are 2.1 billion Christians in the world. That is 33% of the population. This group outnumbers every other religion. The non-religious make up 16% of the population. I'm not trying to attack anyone or start a fight about religions; I'm just stating that it is not unreasonable to make a distribution focused toward the people that fit in the majority religious group. If people who disagree with Christianity can't respect Christians, then why should they expect Christians to respect them.

I looked at your webpage, and I think this distro has a lot of potential. It will be good when you can add more software along with gnomesword.

mhm first: don't answer these posts they will be sent to the graveyard if they are too harsh. And there's already been a whole discussion where people ended up agreeing to disagree.

second, some people (count me as one of them) just don't like the christian staint on ubuntu, that's all. They see ubuntu as a nice project and want to keep it free of politics and/or religion. a third party project is something different than a derivative and would have caused less objection.

Third I think they'd have less problems if a different name was chosen. Names have a lot of effect. But again the devs of Ubuntu have the right to choose whether they want to allow it and they did, so perhaps it's best to stop objecting. The people who are calling the shots have given mhancoc7 their blessing, so there's really not much that can be done.

Fourth critisising people for critisising you is not really a good defence and is quite insulting too, as it acts like a sign that you think you're so much better than the rest. If you can counteract his critics fine, but don't go around bullying him for the courage to stand up for what he believes, you do the same.