PDA

View Full Version : migration from XP to ChromeOS in England, over 4000 computers in this case

sdowney717
April 18th, 2014, 10:06 PM
http://www.zdnet.com/windows-xp-how-end-of-support-sparked-one-organisations-shift-from-microsoft-7000028510/

one way or another, increasing linux adoption can only help ubuntu too, along with linux users and google.

I have read before, since the OS operation is mostly online apps, and the OS maintained by Google directly, administration costs drop.

They think they are escaping the hardware-software continuous money infusion requirement MS upgrade cycle.

Maybe so. I like these sorts of encouraging articles.

d-cosner
April 18th, 2014, 11:42 PM
It is nice seeing Microsoft having some real competition! I feel Ubuntu also is going to be very competitive too. :D

mal3
April 19th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I agree - given the appalling way MS have treated their desktop customers with Win 8 - such as all those office/work users not to mention most home users - I think this process could easily excellerate and more people move to Linux.

HermanAB
April 19th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Uhmm, last I checked, Linux was waaaaaaaaay ahead of Windows for several years already. Windows is a niche OS.

Copper Bezel
April 19th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Ha. A lot of things in the vast majority are "niche" in that sense - but to be honest, the fact that Windows has the support it does from developers and services means it really is a more useful OS for a lot of applications.

Now, whether basic office work and home use are in that set of applications is definitely in question, and I certainly like the idea of mass migrations to Chrome OS. It doesn't even matter that it's Linux - it's stable and securely structured and it doesn't do anything users don't need to run the web browser, which is the only application they're using, anyway. Smooth integration of web applications is important for a modern OS, when things like Facebook or Gmail really are apps in every meaningful sense of the word (and tend to have purpose-built mobile clients,) and there's nothing sadder than those old XP machines kicking around with their horribly outmoded interfaces and just paradigms in general.

Linuxratty
April 20th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Things are starting to heat up in os land!

Copper Bezel
April 20th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Indeed. = ) It's nice to see some competition finally appearing in this sector, no?