PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 14.04 upgrade

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I am using 13.10 and there is no upgrade dialog box still after i did software updater..........and apt-get dist-upgrade..........

david98
April 18th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Now use this command sudo update-manager -d

su:bhatta
April 18th, 2014, 07:33 PM
First
sudo apt-get update

Then do as david98 posted.

Then run this to ensure there are no broken packages

sudo apt-get -f install

reboot and see if Trusty is reflected with the command :

lsb_release -a

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 08:04 PM
sir,the above command says no modules available.
Is the 14.04 a development release i.e not for production machines,so i can wait for some time before installing it on my system.

April 18th, 2014, 08:13 PM
which command says no module available, please give that detail.

14.04 has been released on April 17th, 2014.
You can download a iso and do a fresh install.

sudodus
April 18th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Yes, it always does for me too (in all versions). But it should also say

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

Did you forget the option -a ?

lsb_release -a

Also, I suggest that you also run the following commands to make sure everything is up to date

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and do some cleaning

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean

See
man apt-get for explanations

Edit: And remember to reboot the computer :-)

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 08:19 PM
lsb_release -a gives no modules are available and is it advisable to freshly install ubuntu 14.04,or should i wait for a bug free or developed version.....???

sudodus
April 18th, 2014, 08:24 PM
If the system is running, I suggest that you run those apt-get commands and tell us what happens (what output you get from them). Do not panic now, it is quite possible that the upgrade to 14.04 LTS is good or almost good.

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 08:30 PM
After all the efforts,it is showing that a update is available,but 14.04 is a development release(not for production sysytems),would i proceed or not????

I don't want my os to be unstable.

sudodus
April 18th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Did you run the commands suggested by david98 and su:bhatta. In that case you should no longer have 13.10.

Did you get any strange output, that would make you think something is wrong?

Does your system boot to something that works reasonably well? You cannot judge the result without rebooting.

The output 'No LSB modules are available' does not mean anything is wrong. It is normal. su:bhatta was only interested in the rest of the output (that should indicate 14.04).

What about the output of this command:

uname -a

monkeybrain20122
April 18th, 2014, 08:43 PM
You would rather not do 'upgrade' with update manager, it takes hours and will likely break your system if you have modified it in some non trivial ways (proprietary driver, third party software, ppa, changed system config etc) I would just backup my data and do a clean install, it will take about 20 minutes and even reinstalling all software would probably still be an hour max. A separate /home would be convenient for reinstalling os, so you should make one for the future (or in case you need to reinstall)

April 18th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Hi Navneet, just relax,
If you have run all the commands given by sudodus, david98 & me and after that you have rebooted,

Then post the output of

lsb_release -a
uname -a

Well mine looks like this :

:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

sudodus
April 18th, 2014, 08:44 PM
After all the efforts,it is showing that a update is available,but 14.04 is a development release(not for production sysytems),would i proceed or not????

14.04 LTS is released. It will still have some nasty bugs, and will be more stable after say two weeks. It is the new long time support version and will gradually get more debugged and polished. But most things work well for me already, and I see several positive reports (considering that it is only one day after the release).

If you have a backup, you can restore your 13.10 version, but the upgrading process cannot be reversed.

monkeybrain20122
April 18th, 2014, 08:52 PM

Then why the rush to update? 14.04 is officially released but it is still the same OS as two days ago,-- a late beta or barely out of beta. The release date would not magically change that. If you want stability you should wait for at least a month for the OS to stabilize. All zeroth day Ubuntu releases are kind of buggy, more bugs will surface as it is exposed to more people now. There are also outstanding bugs filed during testing, they don't all magically get fixed on release day.

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Hmm........it was all fine....and thanxx for the help/.......

April 18th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Hmm........it was all fine....and thanxx for the help/.......

Really, after working for something like an hour over this, that answer makes no sense to me.
What was all fine? Did you actually run those commands?

What are the outputs of the commands requested by sudodus and me?
We have no clue as to if we were able to resolve your issue.

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 09:06 PM
Yes,I ran all of them and now i am ready to upgrade to 14.04.And Ofcourse it was all your help.

April 18th, 2014, 09:14 PM
If you have ran all the commands and rebooted, you should already be running 14.04.

What I fail to understand is why are you writing you are ready to upgrade?

Your system should have already upgraded.
Please post the output of this command:

uname -a

sudodus
April 18th, 2014, 09:17 PM
You ran all of them (including reboot) and they finished successfully, so you have 14.04 LTS now. And it works.

I'm not quite sure, but I hope we understand each other, when I think it is time for congratulations :KS

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 09:25 PM
hahah.......its good to have 14.04...it is quite lighter and faster than the predecessor............

April 18th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Well then congratulations. !
Please mark the Thread as Solved, using Thread Tools at the Top right of this page.

Navneet_Kumar
April 18th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Thann for all your support.....