PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Resources demanded by Ubuntu vs Kubuntu?

LK_gandalf_
April 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Hi, do you know some serious analysis made of ubuntu (as it is, with unity) vs kubuntu in terms of resources demanded?

I have a laptop from 2009 which have always run ok on kubuntu (I am on 13.10 currently), but the last two versions have been quite slow, especially browser and dolphin. I once tried ubuntu and it seemd a little bit faster (but I am a bit unsure about it).
Taking into account the possibility to disable all graphic effects and unnecessary services, which one of the two would you suggest? I am not really willing to install xubuntu or similar.
The machine is a Dell xps, cpu intel T7250, 2gb ram, nvidia 8600M GT.
Thanks ;)

ibjsb4
April 18th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Don't know of any analysis, but a personal observation. I think that QT has the edge and is faster.

If your happy with kde and want to keep it, maybe its time to build your own, see if you can streamline it. This is what I did with gnome (12.04), it may work for you.

deadflowr
April 19th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Having used both, and having liked both, my take is the defaults setup (resource-wise) for each is on par with the other.
However, you can tweak much more with Kubuntu and reduce resources more easily.
On the other hand, unity ,for me at least, is more stable.

So I think it's a trade off.
Unity is hard to change settings in, but when you set something, it can work like that, forever. (my own experience)
But with Kubuntu, it is very easy to change a setting, but you never know when something is going to start acting funny.

Don't think that helps you, but that's my opinion on it anyway.

SeijiSensei
April 19th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Have you installed the proprietary NVIDIA driver using the "Additional Drivers" app in the System menu? That can make a substantial difference with Kubuntu.

ibjsb4
April 19th, 2014, 05:02 PM
+1 to the right driver.

Your post got me thinking about QT. Razor QT, I haven't tried it in a while so I loaded it up. Seems to work ok, its pretty bare but fast. A new spin is in the works, LXDE-QT. This may be too far off the beaten path for you, but thought I would mention it.

oldrocker99
May 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I'm currently using razor-qt on an old Toshiba A215, and it no more bare than LXDE for my use, and I like it better. It certainly is fast, and uses little CPU cycles.