PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to download, because I can't find gdebi-gtk

robot952
April 18th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Help! I Can not find gdebi-gtk. I was trying to download Wine, using Ubuntu Software center to download won't do the trick, but I heard gdebi-gtk will. I installed Synaptic pckge manager, is that why I can't find it? Is there a way to install it now without reinstalling Ubuntu? Thx.

kc1di
April 18th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Hi robot952,

I'm not exactly sure what your trying to do gdebi has nothing to do with wine. and it can be installed from the repositories. but the correct name is not gdebi-gtk it's just gdebi - do a search for gdebi in synaptic and you'll find it. You should also be able to install wine by doing a search for wine in Synaptic too.
Make sure you have an internet connection and all should work well.

You could also do it from the terminal with the following commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install wine
and if you want gdebi which is a handy tool to have but not essential, enter

sudo apt-get install gdebi

robot952
April 18th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Thx Kc!

kc1di
April 18th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Your Welcome hope it works for you ;)

robot952
April 18th, 2014, 01:21 PM
By the way, it installed, but when I go to dash home, and rt click applications I see only 'winetricks' not 'wine'. Any idea why that is?

kc1di
April 19th, 2014, 01:50 AM
By the way, it installed, but when I go to dash home, and rt click applications I see only 'winetricks' not 'wine'. Any idea why that is?

you should see wine wineconfig and notepad and uninstall wine software. make sure under filters applications is highlighted.