PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell D400, dual boot

jerryd2
April 18th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Ubuntu forum,
Dell D400 Windows XP Home 32 bit

I have repartitioned my ssd and am trying to install
Ubuntu 12.04 since my notebook doesn't support PAE.

The install goes well until I get an error message that
says "Choose a different device to install the bootloader"

I click the radio button to select a different device and
select /dev/sda then click continue. The installation seems
to finish and then asks to restart. I click on restart and
nothing happens. If I power down and restart the bios
doesn't see the ubuntu partition.

I've read what I could find on the net but nothing tells
me exactly what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions?
Jerryd2

jerryd2
April 18th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I see a lot of reads but no replies. There must be someone who can tell me what to try.
Jerryd2

TechAndNews
April 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Hi Jerry: It seems you want to Dual-Boot an Old WindowsXP Laptop. When you run the Ubuntu CD/DVD, and click "install," you will see a few options. 1. Replace WindowsXP with Ubuntu. 2. install Ubuntu along-side WindowsXP. 3. Something Else. Choose Option 2. If that is not available, you have to Manually Create the Partition. Keep in mind Windows is currently using the entire HardDrive as NTFS (NT File System). Ubuntu Linux will need to use ext4 File System. For Linux, you need "3" Partitions: 1. / (root directory where the Linux Operating System goes), 2. swap (twice the size of the RAM installed on the Laptop - example 1GB RAM, swap will be 2GB), 3. the rest of the File Storage space (for your Home folder). --So, you are basically splitting (Partitioning) a HardDrive from One Partition to Two (Partition A for Windows, Partition B for Linux); even though I mentioned "3" Partitions just for Linux. It's just the way it has to be setup. AS FAR AS THE BOOTLOADER: it must be installed onto the Laptop's HardDrive, in the root directory. Sometimes, during a Linux install, I have a USB Plugged-in. And you have to click the "radio button" to choose the Default Laptop HardDrive. And the Bootloader has to go on there, at the Beginning of the drive. This is called GRUB, and it enables your Laptop to have a 15 second splash-screen that Lists the Linux Kernel, Linux Recovery, Memory-Test, and WindowsXP. You just down arrow to your preferred OS, and hit Enter to Boot into it. --If nothing is selected in GRUB, it will Automatically Boot into the First OS Listed -- in this case Ubuntu Linux 12.04. Good Luck, and Enjoy Linux.

grahammechanical
April 18th, 2014, 10:07 PM
There is something that I do not understand. If this Dell D400 has a CPU that does not support PAE, then it should not be possible to install Ubuntu 12.04 on it as Ubuntu requires a CPU that has the Physical Address Extensions (PAE) capability. Perhaps it is Xubuntu 12.04 or Lubuntu 12.04 that you are installing? It makes a difference to our understanding of what the problem actually is.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

Regards.

ibjsb4
April 18th, 2014, 10:25 PM
and this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2151890

jerryd2
April 19th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Lubuntu forum,

Here's the iso I'm using lubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso
I tried 12.04.4 and got the no PAE support message.

I'm still stuck with this install.

Here's my partition table:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 NTFS WINDOWS 18.00 GiB
/dev/sda2 ext4 LINUX 4.88 GiB
/dev/sda3 ext4 LINUX swap 1.95 GiB
/dev/sda4 fat32 FAT32 shar 4.91 GiB
/dev/sdb
/devsdb1
free space

I don't know why there as any sdb or free space?

I select /dev/sda2 as ext4 and mount it on /
I select /dev/sda3 as ext4 swap space and don't mount it at all.
I select /dev/sda4 as fat32 and mount in on dos

I want /dev/sda4 to be availavel to both operating systems
and the only options for mount are dos and windows so I
picked dos.

When Lubuntu is nearly installed I get the error message saying:
Choose a different device to install the Bootloader on:

I click ok and then click on the radio button to chose a
different device. I select /dev/sda.

The install finishes instantly and says restart but it never
restarts. Windows boots alright and the /dev/sda4 shows up as
drive E but I never get the option of booting to Lubuntu.

What am I missing/doing wrong ??

Jerryd2

steeldriver
April 19th, 2014, 01:57 PM
are you sure you are selecting device /dev/sda not partition /dev/sda1 for the grub bootloader install? iirc the interface isn't particularly clear at that point, I've accidentally done that myself in the past