PDA

View Full Version : Clean instsall 14.04 lts

rosswmcgee
April 17th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Hi I tried the beta 14.04 lts and now have installed 14.04 Lts final. The same thing happens on both the install finishes, I boot up to the log in screen then we go briefly to

the main screen, then the screen goes red with no options available. The only thing I can think of is to install 12.04lts and do an upgrade if that is possible. So what is the

problem? I have had no issues with the computer with other distros.

Burned new cd tried live install from screen, soon as I move the mouse screen goes red. Will try new cd clean install without updates and 3rd party.

ajgreeny
April 17th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Does the computer boot to a desktop when using the live system, or do you get the same problem with a live OS using a DVD or USB?

rosswmcgee
April 17th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I tried it first by booting from cd to install, then tried it as a live cd it gets to the desktop on the live cd but then does the same thing. Used a DVD to install both ways.

I am truly sorry but only ubuntu 14.04 will not install on this computer, all other distros do. I am done, done, done. Thanks for your help, hello mint.

frank18
April 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM
I tried it first by booting from cd to install, then tried it as a live cd it gets to the desktop on the live cd but then does the same thing. Used a DVD to install both ways.

I am truly sorry but only ubuntu 14.04 will not install on this computer, all other distros do. I am done, done, done. Thanks for your help, hello mint.

I think it's drivers problem! when i install i don't get the controls either i only see half applets you have to go in the settings and i install the fglrx drivers from addicional drivers then i can get full screen and all resolutions.I don't know why it doesn't at least the minimun right screen resolution,and if i have my HDtv connected with hdmi i don't get the controls either get nothing ,i have to disconnect the tv in order to install i did not have to in 12.04,there are some things that do not much and i think these are normal stuff!

ajgreeny
April 18th, 2014, 11:20 AM
When you say you used a live CD, do you mean that you really used a CD, not a DVD?

The iso file is too big to burn to CD sop if you managed to get it to burn somehow and you did not get an error to tell you it was not possible, it could be that is your problem.

justen_m
April 18th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I had a similar problem a year ago with a new 13.04 install. So I installed 12.04, and that worked, then just upgraded to 13.04 (and now upgraded to 14.04LTS). It was a video driver problem with my NVidia card. I suspect this is your problem too, however I don't have any solutions. Other than what I described, installing 12.04 then upgrading. Worked for me. My GFX card is a Quadro FX 1800 (768MB).

rosswmcgee
April 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I would have stayed with Ubuntu if I had an easier time of it. I put hours into it. At this point it makes sense to wait for the new Mint lts, No headaches.

rosswmcgee
May 29th, 2014, 02:37 AM
I tried a number of distros, because ubuntu 14.04lts will not install on my computer, ended up with good service and easy install with Mint Qiana 17 which is based on Ubuntu 14.04lts. No problems and seems very stable. Why Mint could do it an not Ubuntu is above my technical level.