PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after login cant see launcher 13.04

wadafjeubu
April 17th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Hi all, After I start up my PC and booted ubuntu 13.04, my user logs in automatically and I see the desk top Unity, but not the launcher. I can, for example, not run a terminal to invoke any programs. Can anyone help? What do I need to do?
Right click on the desktop only give my the ability to make change to the screen.

My PC is dual boot, with ubuntu as standard (on a dedicated harddrive) and windows 7 on an other HDD.
Thanks in advance for the help!

regards!

Redalien0304
April 17th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Ubuntu 13.04 is EOL (End Of Life) & no longer supported. You should upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10 or Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty, which is to be Released Today at some Point. Try this from a terminal Line: sudo apt-get install update-manager-core, then
sudo do-release-upgrade

wadafjeubu
April 17th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Well, I would like to UPGRADE .. but need to be able to invoke the upgrade program of course. So HOW do I do that!!!!

Redalien0304
April 17th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Have you tried the Recovery Option? in advanced options in grub boot menu.

wadafjeubu
April 17th, 2014, 06:01 PM
no I did not, but thanks I will check that! Thanks.

grahammechanical
April 17th, 2014, 08:39 PM
There is something to note. If you right click the desktop and select Change Desktop Background, that will open System Settings. A useful thing to know when the problem is with the video driver.

Please confirm that you cannot open the Dash by tapping the windows (super) key. Or that Crtl+Alt+T does not open a terminal. Or, the Ctrl+Alt+F2 does not open a tty.

Another thing to note, when running the Recovery mode if we want to change any system settings will will need to put the file system into read/write mode. And to update/upgrade we will need a both the file system to be in read/write mode and a network connection. So, first select Network and then select Root.

I have never used recovery mode to upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu. It would be an interesting experiment. I might try it out. You will need to reboot

shutdown -r now

will do it. This command will reset Compiz

dconf reset -f /org/compiz/

This command will rest Unity

setsid unity

Try them before trying to upgrade to 13.10. To get out of Root and back to the recovery menu type exit.

Regards.

wadafjeubu
April 23rd, 2014, 03:06 PM
Thx all for the help. Unfortunately, the recovery mode did not work. What I did last week when 14.04 came out, I installed that! In doing do (re) created a (new) SU and a regular user.

However, my dual boot with Windows 7 is broken: in my boot screen my link to windows 7 is not working; message saying that I need to use the windows 7 dvd to (re)install. But I believe that the issue is the boot .....

Can anyone help to repair that? Thanks a lot again!

regards,