PDA

View Full Version : Gnome colors in ubuntu-gnome 14.04

mazzanti
April 17th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Hi all,
I'm new here and new to gnome 3.10+, so please bear with me if I'm asking something stupid or not asking it in the right place...
The fact is that I've installed the latest pre-release version of ubuntu-gnome 14.04. EVerything seems to be fine, except that I can't see how can i change colors in the (default) adwaita theme. By running gnome-tweak-tool I can get it dark, but still there are applications that refuse to get dark such as firefox or thunderbird. they keep looking awful white.
So is there a *simple* way to use custom colors in this enviroment? I don't really know what to do...
Thanks a lot for your kind help,
Ferran.

buzzingrobot
April 17th, 2014, 02:48 PM
In theory, colors can be changed by editing the several files that comprise each theme. That requires some knowledge of CSS and Javascript. Not at all recommended.

The simplest and best approach is to install different themes. I'm aware of one, Elegance Colors, that allows some manipulation of color.

Gnome themes need to be specifically compatible with the Gnome Shell version you are using.

Gnome itself uses a toolkit called GTK3 to draw the elements you see on screen. Many applications -- Firefox, etc. -- use GTK2, an earlier toolkit. Themes need to be written for both toolkits to affect the appearance of both.

You'll see in Tweak Tool separate entries for GTK themes and Gnome Shell themes, too. (Yes, it's confusing.)

Run a search for something like "Gnome 3.10 compatible themes".

mazzanti
April 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Hi buzzingrobot,
thanks for the input... at least you gave me a starting point. i'll look for these themes, but in any case and as yous ay. it is highly confusing. I'll try to look for something and report back here.
I must say that to my understanding, the white colors of the adawita theme are not that confortable for the eyes. If things are so complicated, why not including more choices by default?
Best regards and thanks again.

mazzanti
April 17th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Hi buzzingrobot,
thanks for the input... at least you gave me a starting point. i'll look for these themes, but in any case and as yous ay. it is highly confusing. I'll try to look for something and report back here.
I must say that to my understanding, the white colors of the adawita theme are not that confortable for the eyes. If things are so complicated, why not including more choices by default?
Best regards and thanks again.