PDA

View Full Version : lubuntu disabled wifi

John_Bednarczyk
April 15th, 2014, 05:36 PM
I attempted to install lubuntu as a dual boot on my windows 8 laptop from a usb drive. I got to the setup and everything was fine until I got the the screen that help me setup my wifi. It displayed my wifi card in my laptop and asked for a password for it before I could move on so I entered my wifi router password and it didnt give me any errors. It than brought me to the hard disc partitioning screen which is where I stopped the install cause I needed more information on how to do that so. Shut clicked cancel on the instillation and shut down lubuntu and restarted windows so I could get more infomation on how to install it and to my surprise my wifi wasnt working I look at the device manager and it says the device is working and the drivers are up to date but when I go to connect to the internet it shows the wifi card as off and wont even populate any wifi. Ive tried diagnosing it and it says to turn on wireless capabilities but I dont have a wifi on/off switch and ive tried disabling and enabling the wifi device but nothing changes ive even gone as far as resetting my laptop and all its setting which erased nearly everything and that didnt work. Im out of answers I need help

Ubi_one_2014
April 15th, 2014, 06:54 PM
i am sorry

pls make it more readable

Mark Phelps
April 16th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Sounds like your WiFi got reset to a disabled state. I had a similar problem years ago running an older Ubuntu version with WIRED network access where the Marvel networking chip got reset and I had to go into Windows to turn it back on. Sounds like something similar.

Since this is a laptop, there is bound to be a setting somewhere that enables/disables WiFi, possibly in the BIOS settings for devices.

You should see if you can contact the manufacturer and if they have techincal support and/or forums -- and post there. They should be able to tell you how to re-enable your WiFi under Win8.

Another possibility is to post this problem on the Win8 forums (eightforums.com), with the laptop model number -- to see if anyone there has run into this problem and has a solution.