PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] Xubuntu 14.04 always starts in Workspace #2.

lethalfang
April 15th, 2014, 04:03 AM
I had a clean install of Xubuntu 14.04 (RC, I guess), but with home directory from a previous installation.
Minor annoying thing. When I boot, it boots into Workspace #2, not #1. Odd. This only happens on this desktop with a previously installed home directory.
Anyway knows what's up with that?

---------------------
Basically, I went to Settings->Session and Startup->General->Automatically, to check the "save and restore sessions on logout" box. Reboot. Uncheck. Reboot again. Somehow that must've cleared up some old config files and things are normal now.

buzzingrobot
April 15th, 2014, 12:52 PM
XFCE has an option to save and restore sessions on logout. (Settings->Session and Startup->General->Automatically save session on logout). Perhaps that was enabled in the previous install and an old config file is in use?

slickymaster
April 15th, 2014, 01:16 PM
You can confirm what values are being loaded by xfce4 in your last login into your system, including the workspace.

If you navigate to your $HOME/.cache/sessions folder, you'll find a lot of files there, including some empty xfwm4- files and among them you'll have a particular file named xfce4-session-HOST_NAME:0, where HOST_NAME is of course the name of your local machine.

If you run the cat command in this file, you'll be able to check the workspace that's been loaded for your actual session. See below the example for mine:
~$ cat /home/slickymaster/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-PaPir:0
[Session: Default]
<... snip ...>
<... snip ...>
<... snip ...>
Count=5
LegacyCount=0
Screen0_ActiveWorkspace=1
LastAccess=1394502824

lethalfang
April 18th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Mine shows Screen0_ActiveWorkspace=1, even though it keeps booting into Space #2. Hmmm.......

lethalfang
April 18th, 2014, 08:24 AM
XFCE has an option to save and restore sessions on logout. (Settings->Session and Startup->General->Automatically save session on logout). Perhaps that was enabled in the previous install and an old config file is in use?

It was unchecked.

Anyway, I checked it. Rebooted. Then unchecked it again. Rebooted again. And now it seems to be normal, booting into Space #1. Hmm. :D