PDA

View Full Version : Wrong keyboard behavior

gabriele.barni
April 14th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I am encountering a very weird error recently, that I cannot figure out to solve...I have surfed for hours and hours without any solution.
I explain: I have an Asus S301L , with Ubuntu 12.04 and an Italian keyboard; every time I log in, some key on my keyboard does not work properly:

p priduces *
0 produces /
- produces +

But also others...for example, It took time for me to write just this message...so frustrating sometimes.
The only way to have things again to work properly is to type in a shell:

setxkbmap it

And it starts again to work, just for a (indefinite) duration of time , then, things, again, are wrong.
I hope to be clear and have explained my problem.
Anyone can help me ?
Thanks in advance for all the answers you'll give me
Cheers

sudodus
April 14th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

I suspect that you use some software (some application program), that resets your keyboard to something else than Italian.

- Is is OK when you log in after shutdown or reboot? Or is it wrong from the very beginning?

- Have you activated or run some program, that uses a different language?

gabriele.barni
April 15th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

I suspect that you use some software (some application program), that resets your keyboard to something else than Italian.

- Is is OK when you log in after shutdown or reboot? Or is it wrong from the very beginning?

- Have you activated or run some program, that uses a different language?

Thanks for the answer.

the problem starts at the login,and after reboot, moreover, after I restored the layout, I don't really know why, it is broken again...

Is there a way to do a complete reset of xkb, or xmodmap ?

could it be a solution?

sudodus
April 15th, 2014, 04:52 AM
Can you remember if you have installed some program at the time when the keyboard started to change like this? Or could it be a hardware error, some that is 'almost' broken? For example, what happens if you use another keyboard (I mean the physical device)?

It should be possible to check if it is a software error by booting and running 'a live session' for a reasonably long time from an Ubuntu desktop install DVD/USB drive. If the Italian keyboard stays when running live, we can be pretty sure, that it is a software problem.

When browsing the internet for ubuntu install keyboard locale I found several useful links, for example this one

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17508/add-keyboard-input-language-to-ubuntu/