PDA

View Full Version : Windows + principles = TRUE?

Engnome
July 24th, 2006, 01:12 AM
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1991316,00.asp

Hadn't it been for MS losing in courts this would never have happened, I bet ballmer is grinding his teeth.

I find this very interesting:

No. 5 is business terms: Microsoft will not retaliate against any computer manufacturer that supports non-Microsoft software, Smith said.

To provide transparency on this point, Microsoft will post a standard volume-based price list to a Web site that is accessible to computer manufacturers, as it has under the U.S. antitrust ruling, he said.

I'm not sure what to believe

prizrak
July 24th, 2006, 04:11 AM
o provide transparency on this point, Microsoft will post a standard volume-based price list to a Web site that is accessible to computer manufacturers, as it has under the U.S. antitrust ruling, he said.
(emphasiz mine)
Very simple scheme, the more Windows licenses the OEM buys the cheaper it is. At the same time they would not buy more licenses than needed because they will be wasting money. If an OEM decides to sell Linux machines and discount the price of the OS there could be a fair amount of interes from people. If say Dell start selling Linux PC's alot of people would go for them, especially laptops. At the same time Dell couldn't possibly drop Windows support as it would still be over 50% of their sales, however they would have to cut down on the number of licenses they buy. This will effectively raise their per license price, which translates into increasing the price of Windows machines. In turn less people will buy Windows machines from them and more from competitors. Now it is possible that Linux machine sales will offset the loses but at the same time they might not and no OEM wants to take the risk given the nature of competition.

Ubunted
July 24th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I think they are finally realizing that their days of being able to get away with being the bully on the block and the only party in town are over now that they are seeing viable competition on their main front - the desktop OS - and can no longer afford the image.

Either that or it's the latest round of "Awww c'mon, we're not THAT evil!"