PDA

View Full Version : App in Chrome App Store wants to auto-update other computers

leclerc65
April 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I just bought a Chromebook, installed about two dozens of apps on it to make it more interesting.
You know what ? It got infected and transmitted the virus (TotalMedia Player needs upgrade blabla...) to all my other computers (Ubuntu and Mint) via Sync.
I removed all the apps/extensions that I don't need much, get rid of the virus popup. I hope that is just that (popup). Scanning with RKHunter show up nothing.
I wish Google will put more severe control on its stores like Apple does.
I stop using all these synchings now, and no more apps for me.

tgalati4
April 11th, 2014, 10:14 PM
There is a fine line between virus and Nagware--software that nags you to upgrade. You wanted more interesting--sounds like you achieved that. Send Google an email with your concerns. Share the response in this thread. I would like to know their response.

If you like the Apple Walled Garden, then perhaps purchase a MacBook. Don't forget the extra $800 required.

whatthefunk
April 11th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Before installing an app, you should research it. Read comments and reviews in the store and do a few google searches. Ultimately, the safety of your computer is in your hands.

Warpnow
April 12th, 2014, 08:55 PM
So..

1. You willingly installed an app that had advertising you didn't like.
2. You determined that the app was a "virus" because of this app's function, which you knowingly installed.
3. You have your apps sync'd across your computers via a connected account.
4. You are upset google took your bad choice and applied it to all your devices setup to be sync'd?

So in summary..

1. There was no virus, just ad-ware.
2. It didn't "transmit" anything. There was no modification to any of your other computers, only to the chrome browsers's list of installed add-ins.
3. Uninstalling the app you didn't want fixed your problem.
4. You want google to stop everyone from installing apps so that you don't accidentally install them and have to go to the great trouble of clicking uninstall?

mörgæs
April 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Changed the title to a (hopefully) more informative one.

leclerc65
April 13th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I thought I did the community a service for giving a warning.
If you think otherwise I am very sorry, my bad.
For me adware, nagware... whatever, is a subset of virus, and in this case a very annoying one.

mörgæs
April 13th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Though annoying it's not a subset.
The warning is appreciated. It just has to have the correct name.

whatthefunk
April 14th, 2014, 12:23 AM
I thought I did the community a service for giving a warning.
If you think otherwise I am very sorry, my bad.
For me adware, nagware... whatever, is a subset of virus, and in this case a very annoying one.

If you really wanted to help, you would tell us what applications caused the problems and post reviews about those apps in the Chrome App Store to warn people about them. This being a Ubuntu forum, the number of people benefited by this post is probably very limited.

leclerc65
April 15th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Delete one app, reboot then repeat up to 20 times - no thanks. Then they can write new ones too.
The popularity of Chromebooks is soaring, and their owners may have Windows, Linux computers.
Now it's nagware, next they can do worse (a malicious rm command for example).
Recently some of the Linux servers in South Korea were knocked out because somebody exploited a weakness in Windows.