PDA

View Full Version : Acer 3100-1718

tomsubt
April 9th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Hello Everyone I had xp on my laptop so I formated it and put (original disk) ubuntu 9.0 on it which it not supported anymore, how do I wipe the harddrive and put 12.04 on it. I only have a 12.04 duplicated disk. Can this be done or can I somehow upgrade directly to 13.10 from the 9.0 installation? Please someone let me know and Thanks

slickymaster
April 9th, 2014, 03:45 PM
See this: How to install software or upgrade from old unsupported release? (http://askubuntu.com/questions/91815/how-to-install-software-or-upgrade-from-old-unsupported-release)

grahammechanical
April 9th, 2014, 04:26 PM
How did you put Ubuntu 9.10 on that machine? Are you not able to follow the same procedure to install 12.04? Likewise with a download of 13.10? Does the machine not have DVD drive? Does it only have a CD drive?

If you install 12.04 you can directly upgrade to 14.04 when it is released in a couple of weeks. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 and then to 13.04 and on to 13.10 and from there to 14.04 in a few months. Ubuntu 13.10 will itself reach end of life at the end of July this year.

Regards.

mörgæs
April 9th, 2014, 05:46 PM
If we are dealing with a laptop from the XP era you might get better performance with X/Lubuntu. The latter fits to a CD.

tomsubt
April 9th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks but the link talked about instaling vlc and the commands did not work

On the upgrade there is no option to upgrade to 12.04 just all other upgrades.

is there anyway to just format the ubuntu 9.0 and then install 12.04 with the duplicated disk for 12.04?

tomsubt
April 9th, 2014, 06:00 PM
How did you put Ubuntu 9.10 on that machine? Are you not able to follow the same procedure to install 12.04? Likewise with a download of 13.10? Does the machine not have DVD drive? Does it only have a CD drive?

If you install 12.04 you can directly upgrade to 14.04 when it is released in a couple of weeks. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 and then to 13.04 and on to 13.10 and from there to 14.04 in a few months. Ubuntu 13.10 will itself reach end of life at the end of July this year.

Regards.

When I put the downloaded 12.04 on dvd it did install on my 2nd desktop, but it would not install on my laptop so I had an old 9.10 original disk and that installed on the laptop.

The cd drive does not work on the laptop I am using a external dvd/drive to install.

I would like to use 12.04 if possible if not then the suggested other version of ubuntu?

My main problem now is installing the 12.04 from the internet but there is No option to install that version but
most other version are there to install.

any idea's why the 12.04 disk wont install on the laptop?

mörgæs
April 9th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Please run (using 9.10 or any version of Buntu)

sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.

tomsubt
April 9th, 2014, 07:47 PM
ok, after entering the command this came up>>> pci (sysfs) <<<

sudodus
April 9th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Try to do it stepwise

sudo -s
lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
exit # from the superuser

And you should have the file lshw.txt in the current directory. Read it with

less lshw.txt

tomsubt
April 9th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I am getting No such command, you said >>>

sudo -s
lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt
exit # from the superuser <<< is that two spaces after the exit?

sudodus
April 10th, 2014, 07:08 AM
The spaces after exit are ignored by bash (the shell interpreter).

The # sign shows the start of a comment, so the # sign and everything behind it is ignored by bash.

This is strange. Which command is not found: sudo, lshw or exit?

All these commands are old, and should be available even after the end of life of Ubuntu 9.10.

-o-

Did you check if there is a file lshw.txt ?

-o-

If you have no luck with 9.10, I suggest that you try with a current version and flavour of Ubuntu. 12.04 LTS has long time support, and all flavours including standard Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are supported, but Lubuntu 12.04 has passed end of life.

In order to give relevant advice, we need information about your computer, so please tell us as much as possible (what you can find out without running that lshw command)

- Brand name and model
- CPU
- RAM (size)
- graphics chip or card
- wifi chip or card

tomsubt
April 10th, 2014, 04:18 PM
The spaces after exit are ignored by bash (the shell interpreter).

The # sign shows the start of a comment, so the # sign and everything behind it is ignored by bash.

This is strange. Which command is not found: sudo, lshw or exit?

All these commands are old, and should be available even after the end of life of Ubuntu 9.10.

-o-

Did you check if there is a file lshw.txt ?

-o-

If you have no luck with 9.10, I suggest that you try with a current version and flavour of Ubuntu. 12.04 LTS has long time support, and all flavours including standard Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are supported, but Lubuntu 12.04 has passed end of life.

In order to give relevant advice, we need information about your computer, so please tell us as much as possible (what you can find out without running that lshw command)

- Brand name and model
- CPU
- RAM (size)
- graphics chip or card
- wifi chip or card

The Sudo,ishw (its states no such command found)

I would like to remove 9.10 and install the 12.04 disk (download from internet)

How to wipe clean 9.10 and start over with 12.04?? Thanks

sudodus
April 10th, 2014, 05:33 PM
1. Maybe we have found the problem: the command is 'ell' 'ess' 'eitch' 'doubleyou', does not start with 'eye'. You can mark and paste it from a post here to your terminal window, to avoid typing errors.

2. We think that your computer might be too old and powerless for standard Ubuntu, but we don't know. This is why we ask for information about your computer. Given this information we can suggest which flavour of Ubuntu to use. The flavours have the same engine under the hood, but the desktop environment are different, and the application programs are somewhat different, which make them suitable for different kinds of computers.

Lubuntu is ultra-light, Xubuntu is medium light while Ubuntu and Kubuntu are fancy but need more horsepower and memory.

3. But I won't push the issue further. If you want to replace 9.10 with 12.04, you can do it by

a. overwriting the whole drive (using the whole drive).

b. overwriting the partition(s) of 9.10.

It makes a difference if you want to keep another operating system (without touching it), 'dual boot'. So the advice will depend also on what is on your hard disk drive and what you want to keep.

*. Installing an operating system is risky. So please backup all important personal files (pictures, documents etc) before you start.

tomsubt
April 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM
1. Maybe we have found the problem: the command is 'ell' 'ess' 'eitch' 'doubleyou', does not start with 'eye'. You can mark and paste it from a post here to your terminal window, to avoid typing errors.

2. We think that your computer might be too old and powerless for standard Ubuntu, but we don't know. This is why we ask for information about your computer. Given this information we can suggest which flavour of Ubuntu to use. The flavours have the same engine under the hood, but the desktop environment are different, and the application programs are somewhat different, which make them suitable for different kinds of computers.

Lubuntu is ultra-light, Xubuntu is medium light while Ubuntu and Kubuntu are fancy but need more horsepower and memory.

3. But I won't push the issue further. If you want to replace 9.10 with 12.04, you can do it by

a. overwriting the whole drive (using the whole drive).

b. overwriting the partition(s) of 9.10.

It makes a difference if you want to keep another operating system (without touching it), 'dual boot'. So the advice will depend also on what is on your hard disk drive and what you want to keep.

*. Installing an operating system is risky. So please backup all important personal files (pictures, documents etc) before you start.

Did not know how to bring up the system properties (different than windows) any way this is what I found

Gnome 2.28.1

Memory 432mib

Processor mobile AMD Sempron) Processor 3500+

Available Space 66.3 gib

Its an Accer 3100-1718 Laptop, Hope this is what your were looking for, please let me know, Thanks

sudodus
April 10th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Thank you. I found this link describing the computer

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AS3100-1718-R

and I would suggest that you install Lubuntu 13.10. Try it live before installing. Maybe you need the boot option nomodeset to get the graphics working properly

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Alternatives to Lubuntu 13.10 are flavours and re-spins based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (but not standard Ubuntu)

Bento, Bodhi, LXLE or some other distro, that is really small, for example Puppy, Tiny Core, Slitaz or DSL.

tomsubt
April 11th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Thank you. I found this link describing the computer

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AS3100-1718-R

and I would suggest that you install Lubuntu 13.10. Try it live before installing. Maybe you need the boot option nomodeset to get the graphics working properly

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Alternatives to Lubuntu 13.10 are flavours and re-spins based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (but not standard Ubuntu)

Bento, Bodhi, LXLE or some other distro, that is really small, for example Puppy, Tiny Core, Slitaz or DSL.

I dont have a disk for the 13.10, so is there a link to download it from the computer?

Also, how do I install it over the 9.10? Thank you

sudodus
April 11th, 2014, 04:43 PM
You can download Lubuntu 13.10 from this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

and make a CD/DVD/USB boot drive.

-o-

Is there another operating system, or only Ubuntu 9.10 in that computer?

If 9.10 is the only system there, I would simply let the installer use the whole hard disk drive and overwrite the old system. You need not prepare the drive for it.
Tell us, if you want to know how to make the CD/DVD/USB boot drive from the downloaded iso file.

tomsubt
April 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM
You can download Lubuntu 13.10 from this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

and make a CD/DVD/USB boot drive.

-o-

Is there another operating system, or only Ubuntu 9.10 in that computer?

If 9.10 is the only system there, I would simply let the installer use the whole hard disk drive and overwrite the old system. You need not prepare the drive for it.
Tell us, if you want to know how to make the CD/DVD/USB boot drive from the downloaded iso file.

No, there it no other os on the laptop, and I do know how to make the ISO disk, but what is worrying me is, when i made the 12.04 disk from the internet, it installed great on my desktop, but it would do Nothing when i put it into the laptop, I hope I dont get the same problem, after making the 13.10 disk??? Thanks

sudodus
April 11th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Well, there is no guarantee, but it costs only your time to try (unless your internet connection costs per megabyte).

There might be problems because of some hardware, where Lubuntu does not find a suitable driver. Sometimes it can be fixed afterwards, sometimes it is better to try another iso file (version of Ubuntu, or some other linux distro).

You can try some boot options (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions), start with nomodeset.

You can try Knoppix, which is known to work well with many (also old) computers.

tomsubt
April 11th, 2014, 06:35 PM
ok, I am downloading 13.10 now will burn it and try the installation when done and let you know!

Meanwhile what is try Knoppix is it installed by the terminal? Thank You

tomsubt
April 11th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Ok, I made the disk and it was successful but when I put it in the laptop, it just keeps booting to the installed 9.0 and I set the boot to cd rom, when I used the original 9.10 disk there was no problem but as i said this 13.10 disk I made it not working (will not boot to it) what can I try? I tried holding down the F12 key for a dual boot but no good? Thanks

tomsubt
April 11th, 2014, 07:25 PM
It seems like only the original disks work on the laptop but the one's I burned worked on the desktops! Is there a way to get a free copy of the 13.10?

Please check the disk in another computer. If it works there, you know that it is good, and the problem is elsewhere.

mörgæs
April 11th, 2014, 07:30 PM
No, but there are many webshops selling them cheap.

Did you burn with the slowest speed possible?
Was it a single-use CD?

sudodus
April 11th, 2014, 07:39 PM
ok, I am downloading 13.10 now will burn it and try the installation when done and let you know!

Meanwhile what is try Knoppix is it installed by the terminal? Thank You

Knoppix is made to run live and should not be installed in the conventional way. You can make something like a persistent live system (in Ubuntu terms) which is called "poor man's install" in Knoppix terminology.

Knoppix uses LXDE and when there is horsepower for it, also Conpiz, so the desktop can be impressive.

tomsubt
April 11th, 2014, 09:00 PM
No, but there are many webshops selling them cheap.

Did you burn with the slowest speed possible?
Was it a single-use CD?

I used a single dvd+R

But I believe it was on the fastest speed!

Sudodus, Thanks for the information.

mörgæs
April 11th, 2014, 09:08 PM
CD is better than DVD.
Single-use is better than rewritables.
Slowest speed possible.

tomsubt
April 12th, 2014, 03:41 PM
CD is better than DVD.
Single-use is better than rewritables.
Slowest speed possible.

mörgæs: The CD worked it is in the computer and installing Thank You, but right now it is on the Keyboard install window and its under English, now for the last almost hour I have been getting a spinning Circle, is it installing, does anyone know? Thanks

PS: I did check the box for installing third party software Too!

mörgæs
April 12th, 2014, 07:52 PM
You have still not posted the output from post 7.

tomsubt
April 12th, 2014, 08:15 PM
You have still not posted the output from post 7.

mörgæs : No need too now, I reinstalled the Lubuntu from the beginning and it installed in about 10 or 15 minutes and is running nice and fast. Thank You and Thank All of you for the help.

One more question> What is the first thing I should make sure is on this new system? Thank You

mörgæs
April 12th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Good, which version of Lubuntu?

Run the commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove

once in a while and you will be fine.

tomsubt
April 12th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Good, which version of Lubuntu?

Run the commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get autoremove

once in a while and you will be fine.

The version is Lubuntu 13.10 Also what is the Auto Remove? Thanks

tomsubt
April 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I am about to install Adobe Flash Player and it asked me to choose one of these, which one should I pick, I am using
13.10 linux

1) Yum for Linux

2) .Tar.gz for linux

3) .rpm for linux

4) apt for ubuntu 10.04+ Thank You

sudodus
April 13th, 2014, 02:47 PM
None of them. Install it together with ofter non-free multimedia software with this command

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-extras

But before that, please follow the advice by mörgæs and run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get autoremove

This will update/upgrade your system to the current daily state (including security updates). Autoremove will remove unnecessary packages, that are no longer needed (that belonged to some previous program but is not used now).

Edit: See details in
man apt-get

clean
clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It removes everything but
the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When APT
is used as a dselect(1) method, clean is run automatically. Those who do not use dselect
will likely want to run apt-get clean from time to time to free up disk space.

autoclean
Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. The
difference is that it only removes package files that can no longer be downloaded, and are
largely useless. This allows a cache to be maintained over a long period without it growing
out of control. The configuration option APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed
packages from being erased if it is set to off.

autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy
dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.

You can also run

sudo apt-get autoclean and
sudo apt-get clean

tomsubt
April 13th, 2014, 03:16 PM
None of them. Install it together with ofter non-free multimedia software with this command

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted extras

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get autoremove

This will update/upgrade your system to the current daily state (including security updates). Autoremove will remove unnecessary packages, that are no longer needed (that belonged to some previous program but is not used now).

Edit: See details in
man apt-get

clean
clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It removes everything but
the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When APT
is used as a dselect(1) method, clean is run automatically. Those who do not use dselect
will likely want to run apt-get clean from time to time to free up disk space.

autoclean
Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. The
difference is that it only removes package files that can no longer be downloaded, and are
largely useless. This allows a cache to be maintained over a long period without it growing
out of control. The configuration option APT::Clean-Installed will prevent installed
packages from being erased if it is set to off.

autoremove
autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy
dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.

You can also run

sudo apt-get autoclean and
sudo apt-get clean

sudodus has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Acer 3100-1718 - in the Installation & Upgrades forum of Ubuntu Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215986&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
DO
Code:
---------
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted extras
---------

Code:
---------
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get autoremove
---------
This will update/upgrade your system to the current daily state (including security updates). Autoremove will remove unnecessary packages, that are no longer needed.

tomsubt
April 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Sudodus, I already did, Thank You for the Information and Link, however when running the link in terminal I got this message, is it ok?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package lubuntu-restricted
E: Unable to locate package extras

sudodus
April 13th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry, I made a typing error (a space instead of a hyphen). The command should be

and the computer is picky about such things ;-)

tomsubt
April 13th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry, I made a typing error (a space instead of a hyphen). The command should be

and the computer is picky about such things ;-)

Ok Thanks but , I tried it again with new code and now I get this, is it completed? >>>>

tom@tom-Aspire-3100:~$ sudo apt-get install lubuntu restricted-extras
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package lubuntu
E: Unable to locate package restricted-extras
tom@tom-Aspire-3100:~$

sudodus
April 13th, 2014, 05:39 PM
But now you made a typing error (a space between lubuntu and restricted-extras). Copy and paste the command from post #36 to avoid typing errors.

The third time it must work

Good luck :-)