PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Live CD won't boot, just blinking cursor on black screen

mike4ubuntu
April 4th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Ubuntu 13.10 Live CD won't boot, just blinking cursor on black screen. I've been able to use this same Live CD to install Saucy 13.10 on other systems, but not on a system with Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard with AMD64 processor, with a Gigabyte (nvidia) GEFORCE GT640 graphics adapter. Is there something in the BIOS that needs to be configured to make this work? The BIOS IOMMU is disabled and the CD has the boot priority. It's an Asus DVD drive.

Kris_Spencer
April 4th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Hello!

A quick search tells me that you have an EFI system. You may want to see if disabling Secure Boot will resolve the issue. Sometimes it gets in the way. You can do that in the BIOS settings.

mike4ubuntu
April 5th, 2014, 02:31 AM
actually, as it turns out, I had to enable IOMMU. It was disabled by default in the BIOS. I had read previously that it should be disabled for Ubuntu to work, but that is evidently not the case. At least, not for the Trusty 14.04 DAILY build on 2014-04-04.

Kris_Spencer
April 5th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Oh good! Glad that you solved the problem. Don't forget to mark the thread as solved.