PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing during the July 23rd blackout

Derek Djons
July 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
Well, for a lot of hours Ubuntu's services were offline. How did you filled your time?

For everybody who tuned in later and is wondering what everybody is talking about, I kept a summary blog about the outage. Click here to read (http://absolutebeginner.wordpress.com/2006/07/23/ubuntu-websites-down/).

For the rest it's waiting for an official statement made by the staff.

jordilin
July 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Just surfing the net and reading the blogs of some ubuntu forum users :D

K.Mandla
July 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
I installed Windows XP on all my computers. ...

BWAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

DoktorSeven
July 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
so sad... so very, very sad....

;)

Biltong (Dee)
July 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Started a similar thread in the Forums Discussion asking what happened.

Me, I played mutiple games of K-Lines. Gotta be world champion by now :-)

stoneguy
July 23rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Connected to #ubuntu to see whether anyone there knew anything, No one did.

Channel header did say there was an outage though. No indication of cause or estimate of duration. Would've been nice to have that.

The Noble
July 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Woke up, and tried to update my edgy machine. Then I cried while looking for way to fix my graphics card. I ate also.

K.Mandla
July 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
I spend the time on #ubuntu and #ubuntuforums
Argh. Why didn't I think of that?

Derek Djons
July 23rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Argh. Why didn't I think of that?

You must have been fascinated by the easiest and quickest installation of Windows XP on your machine. After installation you watched the tour guidance video on every machine. After that you continued to explore the wonderful features of Windows XP and forgot all about IRC :D

Biltong (Dee)
July 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
I have friends here - heck, we all do, or we wouldn't be here but....elsewhere (if that makes sense) :-)

It was raining my side of the world, which only made things worse. :-(

Derek Djons
July 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
I played four-in-a-row like five times but lost every time. The computer has way too much base! :)

rossbot
July 23rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
i read from several sources (newspaper, book, electronic) and took a few naps. i helped my dad out with the back yard. i took a walk.

tseliot
July 23rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
I have read 2 chapters of a book about learning Python (and BTW I have slept only 4 hours last night :( )

Stew2
July 23rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Spent time on #ubuntuforums, checked here frequently, surfed. Sure seemed strange with the forums being out for that long... glad they are back :D

Regards,
Stew2

Derek Djons
July 23rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
Spent time on #ubuntuforums, checked here frequently, surfed. Sure seemed strange with the forums being out for that long... glad they are back :D

Regards,
Stew2

Amen :)

hard_i
July 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
>> I spend the time on #ubuntu and #ubuntuforums
... well. mostly idled in there.
and checked ubuntuforums.org every ~15-30min. or smth.

briancurtin
July 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
i went on with the rest of my day

bonzodog
July 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
I got into #ubuntuforums eventually...it's nearly at it's limit of 75. I also spent time on other sites I use, like slashdot, and digg. also, watched TV.

Skye
July 23rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
I got confused, went for a run, then came home and started screwing with amarok- last.fm and smart DJ are very cool!

Stew2
July 23rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
I got confused, went for a run, then came home and started screwing with amarok- last.fm and smart DJ are very cool!

I love amarok! :D

djsroknrol
July 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
When I first noticed it, I was trying to dist-upgrade my laptop to Dapper..one of the repositories was down..so I gave up for the day as my sister and her boyfriend came down from Vegas to visit for the weekend....was on LQ for awhile, but didn't have a chance to check in here till about 1/2 hr. ago...

Sandsound
July 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
I searched the web for somewhere like this, but nothing comes close.

So glad to be back :D

erikpiper
July 23rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
I switched to canadas servers and installed XGL/Compiz.. (Verryy happy with it btw) Then I went to bed.. Apparently it got worse? Hmm

sagarhshah
July 23rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
I cleaned my bathroom and kitchen!!

And then I went out for a jog and then I made some dinner and then I watched a few episodes of kitchen confidential and here we are :) .

Oh yeah I did check if the servers were up every half hour or so.

bruce89
July 23rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Tried to understand Mailing Lists.

UbuntuniX
July 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
I never even noticed lol.

Owning and admistrating warez sites keeps me busy :D

apollo1900
July 23rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
I almost went outside!
I was this [] close to it!

henriquemaia
July 23rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
The wonders of being out for the weekend. To me everything is as when I left it.

bruce89
July 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
It's funny, as my other source of entertainment, OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org), was also down today. (I contribute to Glasgow (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Glasgow))

jonrkc
July 23rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Connected to #ubuntu to see whether anyone there knew anything, No one did.

Channel header did say there was an outage though. No indication of cause or estimate of duration. Would've been nice to have that.

I wanted to go to #ubuntu to see if I could find out anything (the outage destroyed a planned day-long installation and question-and-answer period a new user and I planned on...), but I cannot discover how to register and participate in the Freenode chat setting.

Where is the best place to learn how to use Freenode? Their FAQ simply mystify me. I'd be very grateful if somebody could point me toward a simple tutorial or explanation.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
July 23rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
I was playing my psp :) I looked at the latest psp news and downloaded all the latest homebrew including a new gba emulator. It was fun :)

kigina
July 23rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
I didn't even know there was a "black out". I guess thats a good thing for 2 reasons.

ember
July 24th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I wish I had the time to watch TV or read a book ... I was crawling through Wikipedia statistics and working on my diploma thesis - I'm actually quite a bit behind schedule ;)

BWF89
July 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Flying my model airplane at the park. Dad was there also flying his.

Jucato
July 24th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Hmm... let me see.
- I archived my blog (just remembered to post that...)
- tried to answer some posts over at KubuntuForums.Net
- slept. I'm lucky it was night time here when the outage happened. :P

I never really got to try IRC. I was very familiar with it 5 years ago, but now I barely even know how to connect. :D

EDIT:
[off-topic]
@Derek: love your new pic :D
[/off-topic]

jeffc313
July 24th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I was practicing driving in a parking lot, for an hour, while burinig out my brother's clutch.

lapsey
July 24th, 2006, 03:10 AM
i fixed my problems myself :cool:

Brunellus
July 24th, 2006, 03:11 AM
#ubuntuforums all the way, yo.

Well, also returning things, recovering from my friend's wedding, dithering about whether or not to send an e-mail, and so forth.

hellmet
July 24th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I really didnt know what to do..on the internet..
I felt as if some part of me went missing..
I was just staring at the monitor..and thinkin
of what to type in the address bar for time pass!!
thnk god this thing is back..
btw any confirmation as to what the reason was??

panickedthumb
July 24th, 2006, 04:06 AM
went to visit my parents so I didn't miss much... though I did have fun in #ubuntuforums before I left.

carl13
July 24th, 2006, 04:47 AM
I developed a plan for world peace but at 99% completion things were back up so I scrapped it. :twisted:

richbarna
July 24th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Didn't even notice. I was on my friend's rooftop terrace having a barbecue, sunbathing and drinking stupid amounts of whiskey and beer, then came home and had my own personal down-time :)

This forum is bright, when you've got a hangover.

DJ Wings
July 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I was in Madrid, and I checked it every few minutes- except for one stretch that someone was doing something on their darn NeoPets page for 30 mins...

mark
July 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
...watched Tiger Woods win the 135th British Open in rather convincing fashion...

mips
July 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM
...watched Tiger Woods win the 135th British Open in rather convincing fashion...

Same here, he had a spectacular game !

SilverBear
July 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I was configuring my new install of Mepis 6.0. Since Mepis is now using Ubuntu repositories, Automatix works for Mepis, too!

Of course, after Automatix "did ix thing," I still had to import my Opera bookmarks, customized GIMP patterns & brushes, edit my fstab, etc. With about 40 partitions spread over 4 disk drives, I need to have certain ones automount rw, others ro, others not automount, but be mountable with particular permissions. . .

Then theres a problem I have with Myah 2.1 not recognizing my SATA drive. I traced my boot logging on that to see where it was failing to include SATA/SCSI support, since Slackware [which Myah is based on] seems to do alright with SATA.

You all get the idea. After all, idle hands are the devil's workshop!

bakegoodz
July 24th, 2006, 09:07 PM
That's what happend!!! I was annoyed that I couldn't install tethereal, untill I switch my sources.list to my ISP's mirror(Xmission is the Bomb). Then I was still annoyed that I couldn't check for security updates. I figured something was down for that 1/2 hour I tried. My theory was that it was at the Palo Alto's peering site, I heard reports that telcos have been squabbling over peering issues, which I think is related to Net neutrality issures. All I know is that my bandwith is not as good as it used to be unless it can routed a few hops away.

ardchoille
July 25th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I felt kinda naked. ubuntuforums is one of my favourite sites, but I spent the time in #ubuntu and at http://www.tldp.org learning more about the best operating system on the planet :)

xmastree
July 25th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Well, having installed breezy on my dad's computer a month ago, persuaded him to get broadband (I gave up on the winmodem), told him that once it's hooked up there's a wealth of good stuff out there, finally getting broadband hooked up, connecting ubuntu to the net...

I spent the time convincing him that is wasn't something I had done, but just a temporary fault.

"look Google works, and see how fast it is..."
"look, I just downloaded a 70MB file, that would have taken hours on your dial-up"
etc. etc.

So I cried and felt abandoned in my hour of need.:(

deadgobby
July 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I did not even know that there was a black out. I was busy doing dad stuff with the kids. Eh was not even effected at all. :-D

richbarna
July 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Hey Derek, Your thread made it to Distro-Watch :)

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060724#quicklook

xmastree
July 28th, 2006, 08:02 PM
You know, looking at the results of the poll disturbs me. Currently, 2/3 of us have lives outside of ubuntu.

Where are all the geeks?

mynimal
July 28th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I checked every ten minutes until it was back up. I was on a freshly installed system (Freshly as in within minutes from I had it set up the repos went boom), and I really had some apps I needed . :P

xmastree
July 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Hmm, sounds familiar:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1290931&postcount=4

jonrkc
July 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM
You know, looking at the results of the poll disturbs me. Currently, 2/3 of us have lives outside of ubuntu.

Where are all the geeks?I love that!

My doctor thinks--get this--that I spend too much time at my computer, and ought to actually get outdoors now and then.

She just doesn't understand....

bvc
July 28th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Where are all the geeks?ease/usability is allowing geeks to have a life? :cool:

Biltong (Dee)
July 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
We have this Southern Hemisphere Ozone-layer-depletion-thingey making sunshine dangerous.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :-)
(What do you mean it doesn't affect South Africa??)
Shoot.
Okay then, I'm allergic to fresh air :---)