PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to ubuntu servers?

jordilin
July 23rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
I have been unable to log in or navigate any of the Ubuntu domains for four hours or more till now. What has happened?

Mr. Picklesworth
July 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Yes, it seems really odd.
Canonical, Ubuntu.com, the Ubuntu forums, the package manager... everything - was broken for over 10 hours.

Still can't download packages, either.
(Trying to download Lynx, but it can't connect)

jordilin
July 23rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Well, it's really incredible!!! We are talking about really important domains down for so much time. It must have been something really serious. If not, I don't understand.

XAsmodeanX
July 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
I heard rumors on digg that it was a massive power outage.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
I heard rumors on digg that it was a massive power outage.What?!
No crazy conspiracy theories? :(

XAsmodeanX
July 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
Oh no, plenty of conspiracy theories... such as people believed that Ubuntu had been compromised by hackers and they took down some of the repositories to link them to their own so that unsuspecting users would update their system and be infected.

RJARRRPCGP
July 23rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
Ubuntu.com definitely was down! :evil: ](*,)

apt-get update failed earlier.

Why?

jordilin
July 23rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
I heard rumors on digg that it was a massive power outage.

But, then they don't have what's called UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)??

XAsmodeanX
July 23rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah I'm sure they do but that can only run it for a short amount of time and it may have been more than a simple power outage. Could have been several power related failures coupled together that would have included the UPS's.

briancurtin
July 23rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
its amazing how crazy people get when a free service to them doesn't work 100% of the time.

rudlavibizon
July 23rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
:???: and thought i screwed up my repositories list. been fiddlin' with it for an hour or so...](*,)

blitzd
July 23rd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Oh no, plenty of conspiracy theories... such as people believed that Ubuntu had been compromised by hackers and they took down some of the repositories to link them to their own so that unsuspecting users would update their system and be infected.

Yea that one started some time lastnight... http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1289965#post1289965

See SuperMike's post... I also saw a link to what looked to be his blog on digg with some other crazy theories.

Some servers were up and then down again since then, UK was available lastnight when US/CA weren't but was not available this morning. CA mirror still isn't working for me. I heard the power outage story but it's hard to see why that would take geographically dispersed servers offline. I can't even get a trace to gulus.usherbrooke.ca (main CA mirror). Maybe it's a mix of problems.

blitzd
July 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
But, then they don't have what's called UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)??

A UPS only lasts so long... Any major server center I have seen is hooked into multiple power grids - but the power theory said that both primary and secondary power sources went offline.

I'm not complaining about them not being online either (though it did make installing a few things fairly difficult), just interested in what happened.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
You may notice that some packages (Frotz and Linx, for instance) still can't be downloaded from the repositories; Just from packages.ubuntu.com.

So, I'm not sure about the power failure theory unless a few servers are just having trouble starting back up.
Probably nothing bad, but it seems like it must be exciting :P

Michael_aust
July 23rd, 2006, 10:39 PM
It was aliens, yeh it was those pesky fellows. They saw that Ubuntu is a force to be reckoned with and figured that if they cause mischief with them that this will be a distraction and they can begin there invasion. They could be amoung us now ooooo ahhhhhhh.

If not Aliens it was Steve Ballmer vowing to Fu***ng burry Ubuntu.

ubuntu-geek
July 23rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
There was a power outage at the datacenter canonical uses in London. It affected all of the ubuntu sites..

rudlavibizon
July 23rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
Ah, London, city of my youth!

mips
July 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
A UPS only lasts so long... Any major server center I have seen is hooked into multiple power grids - but the power theory said that both primary and secondary power sources went offline.

I'm not complaining about them not being online either (though it did make installing a few things fairly difficult), just interested in what happened.

Thats why you should have massive generators in the basement with enough fuel for a few days.

Stew2
July 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
There was a power outage at the datacenter canonical uses in London. It affected all of the ubuntu sites..

Thanks for the explanation. Someone (can't remember who) on #ubuntuforums told me it was down for improvements so the servers wouldn't bog down. Nice to know the real reason. :D

Regards,
Stew2

Biltong (Dee)
July 23rd, 2006, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the explanation Ubuntu-Geek!

...so it was London based Alien saboteurs that did us in...:-k

imhdd
July 23rd, 2006, 11:06 PM
I just heard on TV massive power outage today in CA on extremely hot day. Also power outage in Queens, NY still out after several days.

May not have anyting to do with Ubuntu but indicates there may be many power outages.

Rule
July 23rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
ahh so thats what happed...I thought my routers were crapping out on me so I bought brand new gigabit switches:twisted: , oh well atleast I got something nice out of it haha:mrgreen: