PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavilion ZV 5220: Installation hangs

Carl_DeFranco
April 3rd, 2014, 03:27 AM
I've been trying to install 13.10 on an HP Pavilion ZV 5220 laptop. The machine is quite happy running Live from the CD,
but when I start the install, it stops, consistently, at "Configuring bcmwl-kernel-source".

I'm doing a clean install - no dual boot or anything else. It has an AMD XP-M CPU and nVIDIA graphics accelerator, a 100 GB drive with 2 GB
of memory available.

Not sure why the hang.

Adv-thanks-ance

ubfan1
April 3rd, 2014, 03:45 AM
Try the install without the "internet connection", looks like you are getting hung up with a wireless problem, which you can better fix after installing what's on the CD. Get your wireless chip and search this forum and askubuntu for Broadcom questions.

Carl_DeFranco
April 3rd, 2014, 11:00 PM
I'll give that a shot. This laptop does not have a functional wireless that I can see (the Live CD did not detect one). I have to use a wired connection.

Carl_DeFranco
April 4th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I tried with and without networking - same result, same place. I also tried to install teh 12.04 version which had previously at least installed. Now that version won't complete either. Should I just assume the laptop is toast?

ubfan1
April 5th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Try a USB install if you can. DVD's can get dirty and have reliability problems.

mörgæs
April 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Snice you don't state the version you are installing I assume Ubuntu, which is quite heavy for this old guy. I suggest Lubuntu 13.10, and remember to have wired internet access while installing.

Carl_DeFranco
April 6th, 2014, 07:43 PM
I had tried both 13.10 and 12.04 LTS without success. I finally got 13.10 to successfully install by using the wired connection, refusing updates during installation, and ingoring the restricted software as well. I think it was probably the Broadcomm wireless card, as the first startup after the installation gave me a message to install the proper firmware. I followed the instructions elsewhere in the Networking Forum, and everything seems to be functional, including the wireless connection.

Color me "Solved." Thanks for the help.

Carl