PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu KDE 4.12 "Walk Through Windows of Current Application" fails+strange symbol

Tim_Banchi
April 2nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
I upgraded from Ubuntu with unity 13.04 to 13.10 and recently installed kde 4.12 (according to http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/12/install-kde-4-12-ubuntu-1310-1204/) to try out a new DE. The shortcut Alt+` to switch between windows of same application didn't work and I had a look in the system settings where it was set correctly to Alt+` (and Alt+~ for reverse order).

I reset it again just to make sure and instead of ` I got ោ

I found the file where it seems shortcuts are set: ~/.kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc and changed the shortcut manually to Alt+` but that doesn't matter for the GUI (see screenshot http://666kb.com/i/cn5p4pb730s4yskki.jpg). It just shows the shortcut I set via the GUI before

I also cannot get the ASCII/HEX/Octal code via vi because as soon as I run the cursor over the symbol it disappears (and the screen crimps a bit), so the line reads
Walk Through Windows of Current Application=Alt+,Alt+`,Naaviguer parmi les fenêtres de l'application courante
instead of
Walk Through Windows of Current Application=Alt+ោ,Alt+`,Naaviguer parmi les fenêtres de l'application courante
I changed the file outside my KDE session (at the login screen) and set the shortcut in the config file to Alt+` and then it is shown correctly in the GUI but it still doesn't work.

So I checked my keyboard layout and everyting seems fine (I type ` now under kubuntu). If I set the shortcut to example Alt+1 it works (but Alt+` would just be nicer)

can someone tell me how I get rid of the strange symbol of how I can set the shortcut manually?

su:bhatta
April 2nd, 2014, 06:00 PM
I don't understand the language of your install, but I am using KDE and there the hot keys you mention are behaving correctly.

My only solution would be to see that the Desktop Effect "Apercus" which is 'checked in the screenshot you have given above is also checked under 'Desktop Effects'-->All Effects.

Tim_Banchi
April 3rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Hello bhattabhishek,

thanks for your reply.

The language is set to french but I have a qwerty keyboard which is correctly configured (french is set just to learn french computer-related words).

I will try it out as soon as I get back to this computer which is about mid april.

su:bhatta
April 3rd, 2014, 09:50 PM
Hello bhattabhishek,

thanks for your reply.

The language is set to french but I have a qwerty keyboard which is correctly configured (french is set just to learn french computer-related words).

I will try it out as soon as I get back to this computer which is about mid april.

No problemo, Tim :)
I have subscribed to the thread, it will keep me up to date .

Tim_Banchi
May 15th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Hello bhattabhishek,

just now coming back to the kde installation. In the meantime I have upgraded to ubuntu 14.04, thus using kde 4.13. I deleted ~/.kde to make sure everything is default and clean. And when starting kde the first time the shortcuts are shown correctlyhttp://666kb.com/i/cod8erup99p2xpjqa.jpg

but still the shortcut Alt+` doesn't work, it just does nothing. When I try to set the shortcut again, I get the same problem as in 4.12 with ubuntu 13.10. with the strange character.

I changed the language back to american english hoping that this woud do something, logged-out&logged-in but the error persists ...

I also checked the that the apercus effects are as well under "Desktop Effects" -> All Effects where both options are enabled (one was disabled before)

I freshly installed kubuntu 14.04 on another computer and there wasn't the Alt+` problem, so it seems to be related to my ubuntu 13.04 from last august installation which I upgraded to 13.10 and installed kubuntu-desktop upon - or probably that I changed the language long time ago from English to French... I never changed my keyboard layout and everything else works just fine ...

Well, I'm currently helping myself with Alt+1 to switch between windows of the same application.

thank you again,