PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 14.04 Release Date

Vannyi
March 30th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Has there been an exact date announced as to when Ubuntu 14.04 will be available for download?

Thank you

David D.
March 30th, 2014, 08:11 PM
April 17

mamamia88
March 31st, 2014, 04:21 AM
Using it right now

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
March 31st, 2014, 04:37 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule
kernel freeze is the 3ed
release candidate on the 10th
final on the 17th

jbaerboc
April 15th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I couldn't wait and so im running the Final Beta of 14.04. Honestly everything works fine so it may as well be the final release.

3rdalbum
April 15th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I couldn't wait and so im running the Final Beta of 14.04. Honestly everything works fine so it may as well be the final release.

And if you run your normal system updates after April 17 you'll have the final release. There's really no excuse for ordinary users with a couple of years of experience to jump in early.

jbaerboc
April 15th, 2014, 06:09 PM
And if you run your normal system updates after April 17 you'll have the final release. There's really no excuse for ordinary users with a couple of years of experience to jump in early.

Exactly why I jumped in early. Wondering what you mean by "there's no excuse for ordinary users to jump in early"? Do you mean there's no reason for them to, they shouldn't because there's no need, or there's no excuse for them not to jump in early?

Khakilang
April 16th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Normally I will wait until at the end of April to download because of the internet traffic congestion. I can wait.

kurt18947
April 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM
I generally use University mirrors for speed and to reduce Canonical's bandwidth costs. Yes it seems to me that 14.04 is quite stable these days and it 'feels' faster than 12.04.

PartisanEntity
April 16th, 2014, 09:13 AM
I consider myself to be experienced, but as a rule I would never implement an OS that is in Beta on a production machine. I can't afford downtime or inconsistent behavior that could affect my work.

On the other hand if it were not linked to my work I might be inclined to jump in early due to impatience.

pfeiffep
April 16th, 2014, 01:33 PM

I started testing Trusty on my old Dell (I only use it for email and web browsing; in the occasional need for documents I save to Google) - completely replaced 13.04 with Trusty in order to prepare myself.

For my productivity machine (Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit) I made a separate partition for Trusty and planned on using it "til it broke" or final release. It's been running to my liking for about 3 weeks (I haven't booted 13.04 except once to check a particular). Sometime in May I will officially retire 13.04 and repurpose it's partitions.

I don't anticipate problems with either now - this release has been really stable!

PartisanEntity
April 16th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I don't anticipate problems with either now - this release has been really stable!

Very nice, that's good to know :)

LillyDragon
April 16th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Wait, this is an LTS release? When did LTS's start getting pushed out in two years time? I've been on 12.04 since its final beta to avoid breaking possibly everything during an upgrade every six months, and my current native install is less than six months old right now. (Finally broke down and bought a second hard drive so I could stop using WUBI.)

Normally, I'm eager as a kid on Christmas for these releases, but I had to install a lot more software, games, and drivers this time around. I think I'll wait about reinstalling until I know for sure that my Wacom Pen and Touch tablet, and my cousin's iPod Touch 5G, will work out of the box. It was a week long headache getting the tablet's drivers compiled in December, and an all-night nightmare getting the right driver so that glorified slate of POS glass would mount.

sffvba[e0rt
April 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Wait, this is an LTS release? When did LTS's start getting pushed out in two years time?

Every two years a new LTS comes out - 10.04, 12.04 and now 14.04.

PartisanEntity
April 16th, 2014, 02:16 PM
For more info on LTS releases here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

LillyDragon
April 16th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Okay, that had me in a slight panic there for a moment. I had still thought LTS were every three years because of 8.04 LTS, and it was some time before I got to install 10.04. (So long that 12.04 was only two months away when I did. That wasn't fun to discover.)

I'll probably still hold out on upgrading to 14.04 for a good six months either way. I want to be sure everyone with similar hardware to mine doesn't have any problems migrating with their devices. My install is too fresh, so I'm in no mood to throw it away and upgrade for quite a while; it took some time to install and compile everything I needed again.

jrozo17
April 16th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I'm confused, why does this article say it comes out in 2 days on the 18th? Or do they mean 18th in the UK, while 17th in the U.S.?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/16/ubuntu_linux_1404/

I'm anxious to get my hands on it tomorrow. :popcorn:

tux3do
April 16th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Sounds great :D

PartisanEntity
April 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
I'm confused, why does this article say it comes out in 2 days on the 18th? Or do they mean 18th in the UK, while 17th in the U.S.?

It is always best to rely on official news sources. The press release still says 17th: http://insights.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-14-04-lts-the-cloud-platform-of-choice/ :)

jrozo17
April 16th, 2014, 11:07 PM
It is always best to rely on official news sources. The press release still says 17th: http://insights.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-14-04-lts-the-cloud-platform-of-choice/ :)

Awesome, thanks. :D

Is there a specific time it'll be available?

LillyDragon
April 17th, 2014, 12:58 AM
A specific time would be nice too. I got over my case of butt hurt over the sudden realization that 14.04 was the next LTS, so I'd like to have it downloaded and burned to a disc myself on release day. Then, I'd probably install with a ready disc once I'm sure all my favorite PPAs and drivers have caught up with Trusty Taur's release.

SantaFe
April 17th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Oh boy, it's coming! But I would have preferred CASH on my birthday instead of another upgrade! :D

Agnishom_Chattopadhyay
April 17th, 2014, 04:07 AM
Hey, when will they release that? I can't wait!

deadflowr
April 17th, 2014, 05:24 AM
A specific time would be nice too. I got over my case of butt hurt over the sudden realization that 14.04 was the next LTS, so I'd like to have it downloaded and burned to a disc myself on release day. Then, I'd probably install with a ready disc once I'm sure all my favorite PPAs and drivers have caught up with Trusty Taur's release.

From my somewhat faded memory, I think it'll be release around noon(12 pm) UTC.

That said, no need to rush.

If on 12.04, then maybe wait until first point release in late July.
By then all the stuff you might need to wait on should be ready.

sipirilin
April 17th, 2014, 06:22 AM
It'll be ready when it's ready. I'm waiting forthe Ubuntu equivalent to 'service pack 1'. Better to wait until the masses have tested it any any issues are dealt with. Normally there are some rather large updates a month or so after the release. So, when 14.04 is released I will check this forum to see how many people are having issues. Then when I know things are stable, make the switch, probabe to Xubuntu 14.04

sffvba[e0rt
April 17th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Oh boy, it's coming! But I would have preferred CASH on my birthday instead of another upgrade! :D

Happy birthday :)

deadflowr
April 17th, 2014, 06:45 AM
It'll be ready when it's ready. I'm waiting forthe Ubuntu equivalent to 'service pack 1'. Better to wait until the masses have tested it any any issues are dealt with. Normally there are some rather large updates a month or so after the release. So, when 14.04 is released I will check this forum to see how many people are having issues. Then when I know things are stable, make the switch, probabe to Xubuntu 14.04
Unlike other distros, Ubuntu developers take great pride in actually releasing the new versions when they say they will.
The "It'll be ready when it's ready" doesn't really fly.
If the schedule release was to be changed, we most likely would have known about it at least a week ago, if not longer.
The service pack 1 would most likely be what is called the first point release, (14.04.1)
Here's the release schedule (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule).

+1

Warren Hill
April 17th, 2014, 08:13 AM
@deadflowr: Congratulations on being approved as an Ubuntu Member.

Regarding today's release: If history is anything to go on it will be around noon UTC but there is no need pounce on the server the instant it's released - it's an LTS release so it will be around for the next 5 years. If you can I suggest you use torrents, much less likely to get a corrupted download and less work on the server.

I have been playing with the release candidate: It looks good and very stable.

d-cosner
April 17th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I have been running 14.04 for some time and kept it updated and cleaned up so I already have the final release. I will wait a couple of days so other people can download it. So many people will be downloading and there is no need for me putting any more strain on the servers.

Navneet_Kumar
April 17th, 2014, 11:24 AM
When it will be available exactly???

pfeiffep
April 17th, 2014, 12:25 PM
From my somewhat faded memory, I think it'll be release around noon(12 pm) UTC.

That said, no need to rush.

If on 12.04, then maybe wait until first point release in late July.
By then all the stuff you might need to wait on should be ready.

I'm not familiar with 'point release' - does a point after 14.04 indicate the version is LTS?
if so
Does one need to perform an fresh install to take full advantage of LTS?
or
Can one simply perform apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade to take full advantage of LTS?

Elfy
April 17th, 2014, 12:27 PM
When it will be available exactly???

just after it's released

Warren Hill
April 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM
You don't have to reinstall for the point release.

The reason for the point release is that as people use Ubuntu we find bugs and other problems and fix them.

If you consider an LTS release which is supported for 5 years and install it a long time after the initial release you would need to do a lot of updates for all the fixes that have happened since the release. The point releases are just an opportunity to update the iso files to include these fixes so you have less updates to do.

May be important if you have a slow internet connection.

pfeiffep
April 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM
@Warren Hill
Thank you - makes perfect sense!

SantaFe
April 17th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks! :D

SantaFe
April 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I'm one of the "Get it on the day of release" types myself. Although in this case, I might just burn a new DVD & use it as an excuse to format the whole Laptop HD & wipe out the dreaded Windows 7 infestation once & for all! ;)

And +1 on thank you for the B-Day wish! :D

LillyDragon
April 17th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I'd like to wish you Happy Birthday too, SanteFe! Not everyday your favorite OS releases a new version on the same day as your birth date, it's pretty convenient.

You don't have to reinstall for the point release.

The reason for the point release is that as people use Ubuntu we find bugs and other problems and fix them.

If you consider an LTS release which is supported for 5 years and install it a long time after the initial release you would need to do a lot of updates for all the fixes that have happened since the release. The point releases are just an opportunity to update the iso files to include these fixes so you have less updates to do.

May be important if you have a slow internet connection.

That is a huge relief to me, Warren. It's been a while since I read into LTS releases, and I seem to remember 10.04 getting support cut off pretty quickly, so I felt I had to upgrade soon.

On the off chance I need to reinstall, I'm definitely keeping a disc of 14.04 handy for that, but as long as 12.04 still gets security updates, I'm pretty happy with Precise Pangolin. Everything works, and I have all the software I need.

SantaFe
April 18th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Liking it so far! In fact, I haven't been seeing any of those Intel On-Board Graphic adapter glitches for the past few hours. Will be glad to see those gone. ;)