PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] PXE install 12.04: can't add local mirror manually

henrylaw
March 29th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Trying to enable network (PXE) install from a local server. The initial boot works all right but I can't get it to find the complete contents of the ISO, either by NFS or HTTP. I've found and used/modified many sources of info but currently I'm working off https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LocalNet, where it says 'When asked to select a mirror, go to the top of the list and select "Enter Manually"', but there's no "enter manually" option. What am I doing wrong?

The TFTP configuration (dnsmasq) points to /home/tftpboot. The default PXE config /home/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg is a symbolic link to ./ubuntu-installer/i386/pxelinux.cfg/, in which the "default" file is

DEFAULT ubuntu-12.04
LABEL ubuntu-12.04
kernel ubuntu-installer/i386/linux
append root=/dev/nfs netboot=nfs nfsroot=10.18.78.254:/home/iso/ubuntu-12.04.4-alternate-i386 initrd=ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz
The directory /home/iso/ubuntu-12.04.4-alternate-i386 is validly accessible by nfs; I've checked it from another machine on the network.

ubuntu-installer/i386/linux is from the netboot.tar.gz for the relevant release.

The PXE boot completes, I can see the "linux" kernel being transferred by TFTP, and the installation dialog begins ... language, keyboard, host name, network config etc. But then it comes to "Select a mirror", which is where I should be able to point the installation to my local server (10.18.78.254) but it just has two internet mirrors and won't let me add my own.

henrylaw
April 14th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Well! It's terribly simple: the place to enter your own mirror is at the top of the list, out of sight. The installer helpfully positions the list to a sensible value for your own country, of course, so you don't see the "enter manually" option. Page up madly and there it is ...