PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Screensaver turning on every 10 minutes

evan8
March 29th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Having an issue with screen saver turning on after every 10 minutes even if watching video. Disabled screen saver and even turned it off. Found this solution

"
The problem is that screen blanking is not turned off by xfpm. The output of the command 'xset q' showed me that my screensaver blanking was activated (despite NOT having xscreensaver installed). The best solution I found was to turn it off entirely using a configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with this in it:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
EndSection"

But I do not have that folder/file. Any suggestions?

Toz
March 29th, 2014, 04:44 AM
In Ubuntu, the xorg.conf.d folder is located at /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.

evan8
March 29th, 2014, 04:58 AM
I can find the conf.d folder. but which file or do i have to create one?

vasa1
March 29th, 2014, 05:04 AM
I took another route which is a bit of a workaround but I use a script to monitor %CPU usage: if %CPU usage exceeds a specified value (as it would if a typical video is playing), a "mousemove" is triggered every 8 min and that prevents screen blanking:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

sleep_period=8m

while true; do
high="$(ps -eo %C --sort -%cpu | awk 'NR==2')"
if ps -eo %C --sort -%cpu | awk 'NR==2 { exit !($1>5); }'; then
notify-send 'ALERT' "$high"
xdotool key shift
fi
sleep ${sleep_period}
done
I had to install xdotool which doesn't come as default in any Ubuntu flavor, AFAICT. The notify-send is just for fun. (I think I needed to install libnotify-bin as well to get my home-made notifications to appear.)

evan8
March 29th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I took another route which is a bit of a workaround but I use a script to monitor %CPU usage: if %CPU usage exceeds a specified value (as it would if a typical video is playing), a "mousemove" is triggered every 8 min and that prevents screen blanking:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

sleep_period=8m

while true; do
high="$(ps -eo %C --sort -%cpu | awk 'NR==2')"
if ps -eo %C --sort -%cpu | awk 'NR==2 { exit !($1>5); }'; then
notify-send 'ALERT' "$high"
xdotool key shift
fi
sleep ${sleep_period}
done
I had to install xdotool which doesn't come as default in any Ubuntu flavor, AFAICT. The notify-send is just for fun. (I think I needed to install libnotify-bin as well to get my home-made notifications to appear.)
interesting. i'll try that out if all else fails. thanks

evan8
March 29th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Well. I seemed to have fixed it on xubuntu . Not sure if the command did it or the actual power settings. I was using xfce on my main machine and haven't fixed. But I'll probably just install xubuntu instead tomorrow. thanks. problem half way solved :)

buzzingrobot
March 30th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Are you sure it isn't the screen lock that's activated at the 10-minute mark?

evan8
April 1st, 2014, 04:02 AM
Upgrading to 14.04 seems to be the fix. Now It has " light locker" settings and works fine on both my computers. Solved