PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu keeps setting monitor to sleep mode

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Greetings to the Group - My system is a dual boot with W7 and U 12.4. When in Windows my monitor is set to NEVER SLEEP OR TURN OFF which works like it is set for, but in U 12.4 the monitor keeps going to sleep after several minutes. I've set the power settings U 12.4 to NEVER TURN OFF, but the OS keeps shutting down the monitor. This is a very pain in the ass as when watching any video I have to constantly move the mouse to keep it from going to sleep. I want the monitor to STAY ON so I can run my own screensaver slide show too. I changed monitors from my other pc which runs XP and it too is set to NEVER TURN OFF, but when I swapped to my W7/U12.4 the same problem is still there. So it's not the monitors, but something in U 12.4 that does this. The last time I posed this for some help, it never was posted to the forum, so I hope this one will make it this time. Some help is appreciated to get this problem resolved.

Thanks,
Jim

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 04:15 AM
i use xubuntu, so i have xscreensaver installed, there's a blank screensaver in xscrensaver, so you have to do both screensaver setting and power setting, and if you have a laptop, set the settings for all modes (battery, and ac)

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Hey Gig - Thanks for your reply. I previously had Xscreensaver installed and used it for my own screensaver slide show, but I kept getting a window that it said it wasn't running, so I always had to "run" it to get it started. But that didn't effect my monitor as it still would go to sleep after a few minutes. If I remember right, the screensaver never did come on anyway. But I need to solve the monitor problem first, then I will work on getting the screensaver to work.

Jim

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Have you checked all of the power settings?

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 04:39 AM
I did check the power settings for the power to stay on, but if there are other settings, then I don't know what they are.

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 04:41 AM
if the power settings are set correctly and the screensaver is off completely, then maybe it's a bug, try
sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade and see if the updates fixes it

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Well, there were some itmes that couldn't be fetched. At the bottom of the screen it says 0 files found etc. 0 files updated etc. etc. So it looks like nothing was updated. I think there was a couple of other errors during the process that came up as errors and couldn't find any new ones so the old ones were used.

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 04:48 AM
are you using an older version of ubuntu?

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 04:51 AM
I'm using U 12.4 LTS

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 04:59 AM
i know this part might be a hassle because of all the tabs in the power settings but i don't have the same power settings app as you so it's about all we can do. Could you please send me screenshots of all of the power settings tab? the screenshot app can also do partial screenshots so you won't have to hide everything before you do it, but you have to launch it from the dash instead of the printscreen button.

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 05:07 AM
This is the only power settings I know of.

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Oh i thought the power settings were more extensive in ubuntu aswell... hmm... maybe it actually is in the brightness settings link at the bottom.

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 05:12 AM
OK Here is another screenie.

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Uhg... i really don't know what's causing this, there has to be something we're completely skipping...

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I'm a relatively newbie here, but I've been messing (trying to learn) with this since last year now and I can't find anyother place to look for any settings or any other folders to look at. So maybe I'll get some more help here because I'm sure this isn't that much of a problem to solve. It's pretty simple in Windows.

GigabyteProduction
March 29th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Well ubuntu is designed to be really easy like mac, it's the reason why i don't use pure ubuntu and use xubuntu. Do you think it could be your tv. thinkng it's being smart by shutton off when it sees the image hasn't changed? maybe you can try it on a monitor, or maybe you can leave something on tv. paused (if you can pause stuff) and see if it turns off

frog3764
March 29th, 2014, 05:32 AM
This is for a desktop pc, and as I stated above, I've already swapped monitors to make sure it's not the monitor, which it isn't. The problem doesn't exist when I boot to W7 either, so it's someting in Ubuntu that causes this.

frog3764
April 1st, 2014, 03:44 AM
Does anyone have any more ideas on my problem as it's still an issue here? I need some HELP to find a solution.