PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 14.04 Final Beta upgrade from 13.10

flyfisherbryan
March 28th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I got the announcement of the 14.04 Final Beta today. But when I begin to upgrade the first thing I see is this:

It says Alpha! In caps! I am reasonably sure this would not be available to me through Update Manager unless it is the Final Beta, but I do not want to hit the upgrade button without confirming that with those who know more.

Thank You!!!

mikewhatever
March 28th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Know more about what exactly?

Bucky Ball
March 28th, 2014, 03:10 PM
No, don't go there. It is not the final release at this point.

coffeecat
March 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I am reasonably sure this would not be available to me through Update Manager unless it is the Final Beta

You're reasonably right. You shouldn’t be seeing this until release day. Where are you seeing this? Did you open Software and Updates yourself or did this just pop up? Have you run any terminal commands such as do-release-upgrade?

flyfisherbryan
March 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I know it is not the final release, but I thought that Final Beta, available through the update manager, would be fairly stable and relatively bug free, after all the release date is only 3 weeks away. I was only going to put it on one machine, out of curiosity. Everything is backed up and I would not blink an eye if I had to re-install, but if you advise against it, Bucky Ball, I must listen, for you have never steered me wrong in the past.
Thanks.

Bucky Ball
March 28th, 2014, 03:37 PM
If you have a spare machine that doesn't have your life's data on it and a precious configuration, I'd chuck it on there, sure. I was thinking it was going to be for your main squeeze. That might not be a good idea. ;)

flyfisherbryan
March 28th, 2014, 03:40 PM
coffecat,
This Beta release was anounced in an e-mail list (ubuntu-announce Digest, Vol 71, Issue 1‏) along with a link to upgrade instructions. I opened update manager myself, but the option to upgrade was already there.

Redalien0304
March 28th, 2014, 03:42 PM
You can put Trusty Beta on Separate Partition if you comfortable with that. that is what im doing with.

Bucky Ball
March 28th, 2014, 03:50 PM
You can put Trusty Beta on Separate Partition if you comfortable with that. that is what im doing with.

+1. That's how I'm running it. I have about four installs on separate partitions (from memory).

* Just checked. Yes, four. ;)

Redalien0304
March 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Four in memory? usb stick??

flyfisherbryan
March 28th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I will probably go the separate partition route, thanks everybody.

ajgreeny
March 28th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Alternatively you could try them out as virtual machines, which is what I'm doing with Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu in Virtualbox, as a foolproof and safe way to look at them all. It does, however, require a fairly high spec machine to really do them justice.

PS: at the moment all three are looking extremely good; minor glitches here and there but no show-stoppers that I've seen for a long time, though there were a few much earlier in the development cycle.

frank18
March 29th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I have downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 from here and so far it runs bug free

http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/14.04/beta-1/

Ubi_one_2014
March 29th, 2014, 11:25 AM
i got the same messages upon running
update-manager -d

is the upgrade process noob proof?
i am pretty handy, but when the upgrade fails, i have to reinstall ubuntu, and that's not what i want

coffeecat
March 29th, 2014, 11:37 AM
update-manager -d

is the upgrade process noob proof?

Yes, so long as you don't do something like running update-manager -d from the terminal. Using "-d, --devel-release, Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is possible" is not intended for "noobs".

Elfy
March 29th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I got the announcement of the 14.04 Final Beta today. But when I begin to upgrade the first thing I see is this:

It says Alpha! In caps! I am reasonably sure this would not be available to me through Update Manager unless it is the Final Beta, but I do not want to hit the upgrade button without confirming that with those who know more.

Thank You!!!

That just means they didn't update the notice, upgrading via update manager will grab the latest - not an old Alpha

Ubi_one_2014
March 29th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Yes, so long as you don't do something like running update-manager -d from the terminal. Using "-d, --devel-release, Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is possible" is not intended for "noobs".

no, i do not run it from the terminal, but by using alt+f2

thanks for your answer,
i will consider if i really want it, rather then wait an extra 3 weeks to download the iso

flyfisherbryan
March 29th, 2014, 01:58 PM
OK, I installed 14.04 on a separate partition on one machine and then really tried to find flaws and found none. This encouraged me, so I actually upgraded my "B" machine (alt+f2 etc.), again, no problems. The upgrade took a couple of hours, so if you're going to do it give yourself time.
Thanks to everyone who took an interest in my case.

Ubi_one_2014
March 29th, 2014, 02:47 PM
thanks for sharing your experience

frank18
March 30th, 2014, 12:19 AM
OK, I installed 14.04 on a separate partition on one machine and then really tried to find flaws and found none. This encouraged me, so I actually upgraded my "B" machine (alt+f2 etc.), again, no problems. The upgrade took a couple of hours, so if you're going to do it give yourself time.
Thanks to everyone who took an interest in my case.

You did right,and forget people that advise people not to get Ubuntu14.04 till april, it runs better then Ubuntu 12.04LTS for sure,. i see no reason not to, get it now since it's running very well bug free, i tried Ubuntu13.10 also then i updated it to Ubuntu14.04 and it runned perfectly, then i made an Iso of Ubuntu14.04 beta1 and installed it replacing the 13.10 upgraded to 14.04, and result same thing, it's working ok also bug free,
i don't understand people that do not give a good reason why not to install it now.The same goes for Xubuntu 14.04 it's running 90% better then xubuntu 12.04LTS on one of my old p4.