PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need to export email folders from mozilla thunderbird ubuntu

Bryant_Arrington
March 26th, 2014, 03:23 AM
I am installing everything from Ubuntu 13.04 Inspiron Dell to a Dell Inspiron with Linux Mint 16 Mate desktop. I can't figure out how to get all the folders I have in Mozilla thunderbird (about 10) exported and then into the Linux Mint machine.

Any help please???

thanks!!!

kc1di
March 26th, 2014, 10:50 AM
go to file manager click on show hidden files find the .thunderbird folder copy the .thunderbird/<filename>.default/Mail/Local Folders file and past it to the same place on the thunderbird install on the other machine. your folders and mail should be there. (use a usb stick , cloud storage , or cd to transfer the file. or if the machines are networked together you should be able to copy that file over.) good luck

Bryant_Arrington
March 26th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Sorry, I'm new to Ubuntu. Where is or how do I access File Manger? Thanks very much!!
Edit - I found show hidden files, but can't find the mozilla folder. I found 4 mozilla folders but can't find the mail folder.

kc1di
March 26th, 2014, 12:59 PM
your not looking for Mozilla but .thunderbird it's a hidden folder in your home directory.

Bryant_Arrington
March 27th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks for your patience. I have search for Thunderbird in computer and find 3 thunderbird folders and four with other add on names like, thunderbird-addons, thunderbird-local-en, thunderbird-locale-en-us, thunderbird-globalmenu, thunderbird-gnomesupport.

I do not find inside of any of them "<filename>.default/Mail/Local Folders file". What is the most likely name for <filename>??

coffeecat
March 27th, 2014, 12:45 AM
kc1di has already told you where the thunderbird folder is:

your not looking for Mozilla but .thunderbird it's a hidden folder in your home directory.

Open a file browser window in your home directory. If you are using Ubuntu with Unity simply click on the second icon down in the launcher. Now either press ctrl-H to show hidden files/folders or use the menu to select show hidden folders. The folder you are looking for has a leading dot ".thunderbird" - that is what distinguishes hidden files/folders in Linux.

The <filename> part of <filename>.default is a random string and is different for each installation.

Bryant_Arrington
March 27th, 2014, 03:34 AM
Thanks, your description did it for me. Got it!!!

kc1di
March 27th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Glad you got , enjoy :)