PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Dell Poweredge sc420 won't install lubuntu

tyfowlerkids.com
March 24th, 2014, 09:43 PM
so my dad wants a file server and he wants to use an old Dell Poweredge sc420 here are the specs

Intel Pentium 4 prosesor (2.80 GHz)
2 GB of ram (4 512 mb moduals of ddr2 ram at at a speed of 533 MHz)
500 gb segate hard drive
2 TB segate Hard drive (not in the computer yet)

everything we want is onboard including the video. so after diging it up and geting it ready, I put Lubuntu 13.10 (32 bit) on a usb flash drive and told the computer to boot to it. there isn't a problem untill I get to the installer. the backgroud pic is there and a window pops up that should be the installer, but the window turns white and the computer freezes. is there somthing I'm doing wrong. I was going to use ubuntu but that was a bust as well. what needs to be done in order to fix it

mörgæs
March 25th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.
Which graphics card does it have?

tyfowlerkids.com
March 25th, 2014, 04:24 PM
curently running with onboard graphics

gifford
March 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Are you using the server version of Lubuntu or Ubuntu?
Also, do you have a cd or dvd drive in the Poweredge?
The server version has a console menu based install as opposed to a GUI.

mörgæs
March 25th, 2014, 07:20 PM
By 'card' I wasn't referring to a physical card in a slot, but the graphics processor.

tyfowlerkids.com
March 26th, 2014, 01:12 AM
because this is a file server, I wanted a graphical user interface. thats why we went with the desktop version. I am currently trying to run lubuntu on it. I think that the graphics arn't cuting it. all I can find on it was that it was 8 mb graphics.

mörgæs
March 26th, 2014, 09:21 AM
8MB graphics memory is almost nothing. If you have an empty slot I suggest finding a used card (as in physical card) from AMD or Nvidia.

gifford
March 26th, 2014, 05:19 PM
The above post is your best option if you need the graphical interface. In searching about the the Poweredge, it does seem that you should have available expansion slots for a video card.

tyfowlerkids.com
March 26th, 2014, 07:38 PM
thanks

mörgæs
March 26th, 2014, 09:42 PM
You're welcome.
If this solves the problem please mark the thread so (by using Thread Tools).