PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot boot into new install of ubuntu 13.04 dev/disk/by-uuid/... does not exist

dima6
March 21st, 2014, 06:26 PM
I did a fresh install, made with unetbootin on windows 7, USB 2.0 key (32GB) of Ubuntu 13.04 (64bit) install image, on to another USB 2.0 key (16GB).
In fact I did several installs, using default partition allocation and custom (selecting "something else" and allocating root and swap) but in all cases result is the same:
After prompt to reboot screen with flashing cursor comes up and then after a delay message (see attached screenshot) with the most important problem information in it being:

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/353f3494-0d06-4e7f-9e84-668893d2d1a0 does not exist,
Dropping to a shell!

I have attempted the boot-repair tool as per official tutorial using my installation USB key ("Try Ubuntu without installing"), it ran through successfully and produced following url:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7128800/

however it did not resolve the issue.
Looking at the output and looking at the grub script (accessed at boot) I can see that uuid being referenced is a correct one.
However I do not have enough linux experience to even know if I am looking in the right places.

I have Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ MB with 8GB RAM, AMD FX-4300 CPU, Sapphire R9 280X video

As a background I installed Xubuntu 12.10 couple of month ago and it was working, then had to upgrade motherboard (to the one I have now) and the same problem happened. I do not remember what I did but somehow following one of the forums suggestions I fixed it. However so far 2 days of fighting on this issue did not result in the similar outcome :).
The important part though is I do have a working 12.10 USB key xubuntu that works fine on this machine, so if there is something that can be taken/referenced from it to assist in solving this problem - I can get it.

Appreciate any help or suggestions...

David D.
March 21st, 2014, 07:07 PM
13.04 has reached end of life (as of January 27, 2014).

Try downloading and installing 13.10.

grahammechanical
March 21st, 2014, 07:29 PM
I am not clear on what you are trying to do. This

I did a fresh install, made with unetbootin on windows 7, USB 2.0 key (32GB) of Ubuntu 13.04 (64bit) install image, on to another USB 2.0 key (16GB).

This seems to say that you are trying to install Ubuntu onto a USB memory stick by installing it from a live session of Ubuntu running on another USB memory stick. If this is what you are doing then the question to ask is:

Where is the Grub boot loader being install to? Grub is starting to load and it looks for its configuration files in a /boot/grub folder on a designated disk (ijnternal, external, whatever) If it cannot find its configuration files then it goes to a Grub Rescue prompt. Grub is saying it cannot find the disk where it has been told to look. This is what is meant by the /by-uuid/etc., does not exist message.

Regards.

dima6
March 21st, 2014, 07:57 PM
I am installing from live session USB using Install Ubuntu option with the target of another USB key.
I am not loading live session (i.e. "Try Ubuntu without installing") as part of it. I only did it to run boot-repair after install to attempt to repair the installation.
Hope this clarifies it.

dima6
March 31st, 2014, 09:25 PM
So the solution to my problem that I found was to recreate the installer usb key of Ubuntu 13.04 LiveCD (or whatever the name) using unetbootin with .iso file instead of direct download on a different USB key (also 32GB) and install it again onto the same USB key (16GB).
This time it worked, no boot or any other issues.

bapoumba
March 31st, 2014, 09:50 PM
Please mark your thread as solved (under Thread Tools menu), thanks.