PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Installer wiped my partitions without appropriate warning - furious!

DrPotoroo
March 21st, 2014, 12:48 AM
Recently purchased a surface pro with the plan of primarily running some flavour of linux and having the option to boot to windows for a small handful of situations where it is impossible to do something without windows.

I shrank the windows partition and installed ubuntu 13.10 first. No problems except I have a specific requirement of my window manager that unity won't meet. So I started looking at alternatives. Tried mint but had wifi issues and the surface pro would never power off on shut down. Next I decided to try xubuntu.

Running off the usb xubuntu looked promising. So I ran the installer. Now, when it gave me options to "refresh" ubuntu, wipe and reinstall ubuntu or "do something else" I would usually choose "do something else." However, I thought for simplicity I would try the wipe & reinstall option. Although the description only referred to clearing the ubuntu partition, I thought there was a risk it might wipe windows but assumed it would tell me exactly what it was going to do to my partitions at a later step and have me confirm.

I was wrong.

The install reformatted AND repartitioned my entire drive, and gave me no further warning it would do so. Windows gone. Windows recovery partitions gone.

Anyway, it was a brand new computer and my wife also has one with intact recover partition. So I didn't lose much other than time.

But I could have.

Should I be reporting this as a bug?

ubfan1
March 21st, 2014, 01:10 AM
Sure, even adding just the word "disk" after "wipe" would make the choice less ambiguous.

Mark Phelps
March 21st, 2014, 01:26 PM
Should I be reporting this as a bug?

The problem of having the entire drive reformatted automatically when reinstalling or upgrading an existing Ubuntu installation has already been reported ... but sorry, don't have the specific "bug" information.

DrPotoroo
March 24th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Thanks. I was able to find the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1266437?comments=all

If anyone else is affected, log files are wanted from /var/log/installer after the install. I and others affected this had already overwritten the install before making a bug report.