PDA

View Full Version : [other] Help with GRUB 2

samlant
March 20th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Evening everyone!
I appreciate you viewing this, and I thank you for taking time out of your day to read this post!

My Issue: I first installed Ubuntu 13.10 with it's bootloader in the MBR (/dev/sda). I then created a dedicated GRUB partition to "chainload" a total of 3 OS's, including Ubuntu, WIndows 7, and another linux distro called Uberstudent.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE INTEGRITY OF UBUNTU'S BOOTLOADER. However, I am uncertain if there are missing files in the Dedicated GRUB Partition (such as 00_header, etc.).

I then installed GRUB 2 to the Dedicated GRUB partition (/dev/sda3), so that if I delete or change OS's, GRUB is unaffected and I can edit grub.cfg without worry. However, when I boot my system, I noticed that it uses the bootloader found in my Ubuntu's "/boot" directory and not the one found in my dedicated GRUB partition. How may I switch the MBR (Master Boot Record) that holds stage 1 of GRUB2 to point to my dedicated GRUB partition (/dev/sda3) and not my "/boot" folder in the "/" partition of Ubuntu (/dev/sda5)?

sudodus
March 20th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal

You can probably use this method, where in your case the dedicated GRUB partition is /dev/sda3

sudo mkdir /mnt/boot
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt # Example: sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdX # Example: sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

samlant
March 21st, 2014, 12:42 AM
Thank you very much for this! It, as you suggested, was just in need of a simple reinstall of --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev.sda command. I appreciate your help and devotion! It's now using the bootloader on the partition in my /dev/sda3 (my dedicated GRUB partition).

A follow-up question, because I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this: Would it be safe to copy the files found in /etc/grub.d, such as 00_header, 05_debian_theme, and 40_custom, to the dedicated GRUB partition, leaving Ubuntu out of the main bootloading programming (as is my understanding as that would do)? Further, would it be wise and beneficial to do so? If it saves a little bit of space on my Ubuntu drive, yet doesn't sacrifice stability, I see it as a good choice. Does anyone disagree?

deadflowr
March 21st, 2014, 04:21 AM
Moving or copying the files from /etc/grub.d won't be beneficial as they don't have anything to do with the actual booting.
The important file is the one those make, which is the grub.cfg file found in the /boot folder.
That's the file that is actually read during boot.
More important though is I think grub's design is dependent on them being in that location.(/etc/grub.d)
So unless you want to re-write a few files, keep them where they are.

sudodus
March 21st, 2014, 09:00 AM
Moving or copying the files from /etc/grub.d won't be beneficial as they don't have anything to do with the actual booting.
The important file is the one those make, which is the grub.cfg file found in the /boot folder.
That's the file that is actually read during boot.
More important though is I think grub's design is dependent on them being in that location.(/etc/grub.d)
So unless you want to re-write a few files, keep them where they are.

+1