PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on UEFI System

mitchell8
March 19th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I am trying to install and run Ubuntu (12.04.4 LTS) on my ocmputer (64-bit). It defaulty came with Windows 8 and I formated the hard drive and installed Windows 7 on it. Now I am trying to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I have gotten to the point where in the GRUB2 bootlader I can see many different choices. I can pick the Windows option and boot Windows, but if I pick the Ububntu option, the screen just goes to the really dark purple color. If anyone can help please do!! Here is the past.ubuntu website from the boot recovery I used while running Ubuntu from the USB i have put the Ubuntu iso on: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7116564/

Please help!
-Thanks

bookrt
March 20th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Go into BIOS with USB Ubuntu disk inserted. There should be options to boot the USB stick in EFI or regular. Select EFI, then redo the installation. It will then install normally in EFI mode. In my opinion this will be easier than doing the boot repair.

slooksterpsv
March 20th, 2014, 01:23 AM
What graphics do you have kin the computer?

When in grub, highlight Ubuntu, press the e key and go to the line that says quiet, remove the word quiet and put in nomodeset, press F10 to boot and see if that makes any difference.

mitchell8
March 21st, 2014, 05:54 AM
OK I have now have pretty much started from scratch again. I have figured out that my Windows 7 install I'm pretty sure is installed in legacy mode, not EFI. If I want to now dual boot Ubuntu now, what s the best way to do it? If anyone can give me a link to a step by step way to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 in legacy mode, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

slooksterpsv
March 21st, 2014, 07:03 AM
If you boot into the installation of Ubuntu it'll give you the option to install alongside Windows 7.

Now here's the kicker, GRUB will be required to boot into Windows 7 from that point on until you either reinstall Windows 7 or restore the MBR for Windows 7.

Best thing to do is use Windows 7 and shrink down your disk in:

diskmgmt.msc

use the search/run command to execute that app. If it's going to be on the same drive as drive C:, right-click and choose shrink. Shrink by amount you want for Ubuntu (60GB is sufficient for me personally) and let Windows resize it. Leave that partition empty. Now just boot from the LiveCD and install.

mitchell8
March 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
I tried this and the purple screen still is on there. I have the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics.

slooksterpsv
March 22nd, 2014, 02:34 AM
press CTRL+ALT+F2 - it should take you to a command line interface; if you've installed the system already you'll need to login with your username and password; if this is off of the livecd you should be logged in automatically.

To login, if you're not, type in your user name e.g.: during install if your name was John Doe, your username would default to john. When you press enter, it'll prompt for your password, it won't show as you type it, so you'll need to type it in and press enter.

Once your to the CLI type in:

sudo Xorg -configure
sudo mv ./xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Now type in:
sudo start

If you got into the GUI let me know, if not try this one:

sudo lightdm

fantab
March 22nd, 2014, 02:44 AM
OK I have now have pretty much started from scratch again. I have figured out that my Windows 7 install I'm pretty sure is installed in legacy mode, not EFI. If I want to now dual boot Ubuntu now, what s the best way to do it? If anyone can give me a link to a step by step way to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 in legacy mode, it would be greatly appreciated.

parted -l:

Model: ATA ST750LM022 HN-M7 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 750GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 106MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
2 106MB 240MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
3 240MB 645GB 645GB ntfs Basic data partition
4 645GB 646GB 499MB ext4
5 646GB 666GB 20.0GB ext4
6 666GB 744GB 78.0GB ext4
7 744GB 750GB 6000MB linux-swap(v1)
8 750GB 750GB 99.6MB bios_grub

The output of 'parted -l' shows that your HDD has GPT table.
Windows can boot from GPT disk only in EFI mode.
So your Windows is booting in EFI... this is also manifested in the contents of the EFI System Partition [ESP]:

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Windows 7/2008: FAT32
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /Boot/bootx64.efi /ubuntu/grubx64.efi
/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
/EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi
/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi
/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi
/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/memtest.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_ia32/btrfs_ia32.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_ia32/ext2_ia32.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_ia32/ext4_ia32.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_ia32/hfs_ia32.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_ia32/iso9660_ia32.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_ia32/reiserfs_ia32.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/btrfs_x64.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/ext2_x64.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/ext4_x64.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/hfs_x64.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/iso9660_x64.efi
/EFI/refind/drivers_x64/reiserfs_x64.efi
/EFI/refind/tools_ia32/gptsync_ia32.efi
/EFI/refind/tools_x64/gptsync_x64.efi

Or those entries can be from 'erased' Windows 8. And if they are left overs from Win8 then those entries are being run by Grub but there is no corresponding OS to boot.

This also shows that you are using or used 'rEFind' Boot manager. It is suggested that you either use Grub or rEFind, and not both.

I would suggest that you try ubuntu latest 13.10. The latest versions of Ubuntu support 'newer' hardware techs better.
Remember to install Ubuntu in U(EFI) the ubuntu install media has to be booted in UEFI mode only.

If you think Winodows may not have been installed properly then try re-installing it again.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

And one more thing, remove the 'bios_grub' flag on /dev/sda8 or your 8th partition, this partition is needed only to boot Linux OS from a GPT disk in 'BIOS/Legacy/CSM' mode. This could interfere in the proper Grub install.