PDA

View Full Version : New Gnomebaker is coming

gamehack
March 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to draw your attention. The new upcoming version of Gnomebaker is coming along... Cue & Bin support has been added and now sports a complete new artwork. If you want to see it, just take a look here (http://www.1nsp1r3d.co.uk/tmp/gnomebaker/Screenshot.png) . Comments are welcome. You can also notice that the whole style of Gnomebaker is going towards Ubuntu's colour scheme.

Regards,
gamehack

ubuntu-geek
March 26th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Cool cant wait!

BWF89
March 26th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Why did they release GBaker under the LGPL. Isn't that basically the BSD liscence?

totalshredder
March 26th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Wow, I wonder why the color scheme is going towards ubuntu style... has everyone given in?! When are we going to get gnomebaker in the repositories? I think it's a great program, I'm excited about it!

ubuntu-geek
March 26th, 2005, 01:55 AM
You can add this to your sources.list to pull ubuntu deb's..

# GnomeBaker
deb http://people.debian.org/~goedson/packages/ubuntu/hoary/gnomebaker/releases/i386/ (http://people.debian.org/%7Egoedson/packages/ubuntu/hoary/gnomebaker/releases/i386/) ./

totalshredder
March 26th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Hey Hey! It works great, haha, thanks UG, I'm happily "baking" away ;). Very nice program, reminds me a lot of K3B though... HMMMMMMMM

Can anybody do the same magic for Beagle?

Luke

akurashy
March 26th, 2005, 02:26 AM
i kinda like graveman n_n
though gbaker looks good :)

kassetra
March 26th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to draw your attention. The new upcoming version of Gnomebaker is coming along... Cue & Bin support has been added and now sports a complete new artwork. If you want to see it, just take a look here (http://www.1nsp1r3d.co.uk/tmp/gnomebaker/Screenshot.png) . Comments are welcome. You can also notice that the whole style of Gnomebaker is going towards Ubuntu's colour scheme.

Regards,
gamehack

Wow! The new gnomebaker looks completely awesome! Gnomebaker has moved onto my "must have" list! I can't wait! :)

TravisNewman
March 26th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Why did they release GBaker under the LGPL. Isn't that basically the BSD liscence?
Not really. They'd just call it the BSD license if it was.

<sarcasm>But you worry about licenses a lot, considering you still use Windows</sarcasm> ;) ;)

lukem
March 26th, 2005, 04:56 AM
You can add this to your sources.list to pull ubuntu deb's..

I'm using warty and downloaded the source from a slightly different repository.

deb-src http://people.debian.org/~goedson/packages/ubuntu/warty/gnomebaker/releases/src/ ./

When I try to install I get:

uke@athalon:~ $ sudo apt-get build-dep gnomebaker
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package cdbs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package cdbs has no installation candidate
E: Failed to satisfy Build-Depends dependency for gnomebaker: cdbs

I found cdbs and installed it, but still get the same error. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Luke

TravisNewman
March 26th, 2005, 06:35 AM
did you install cdbs using a .deb file? If not, dpkg and apt won't show it as being installed. You can always use checkinstall, or make a dummy package to make it think you have it installed with a .deb.

If you DID install it with a .deb, then I have no clue, unless you're using an older version

poofyhairguy
March 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Hi all,

Regards,
gamehack

At light speed the biggest gripe against Gnome is gone. Now to work on important things, like eye candy to make OSXers hurt with jealously (wobble, wobble).

LongTooth
March 26th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Love Gnomebaker. Question: Sometime ago I went to the Gnomebaker site and downloaded and installed per their instructions (tarball). Will I be able, when it becomes a Ubuntu package, to upgrade? That's my main concern. When I install anything via tarball. Am I 'locked' in. Do I have to delete and start all over again? I love Gnomebaker but not using Ubuntu approved repositories concerns me. Of course this applies to any tarball installed package. Not meaning to deviate from the subject at hand, just how will source installed packages be upgraded? I'd much rather get all of my programs from approved sites which makes upgrading a non issue - ala apt-get. But if I do deviate from the 'norm' will upgrading be a problem? Thanks.

P.S Tarballs have alway scared me. Don't know why but they do. I know lots of folks like them. But they scare the hell out of me. One of my many quirks.

gamehack
March 26th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Love Gnomebaker. Question: Sometime ago I went to the Gnomebaker site and downloaded and installed per their instructions (tarball). Will I be able, when it becomes a Ubuntu package, to upgrade? That's my main concern. When I install anything via tarball. Am I 'locked' in. Do I have to delete and start all over again? I love Gnomebaker but not using Ubuntu approved repositories concerns me. Of course this applies to any tarball installed package. Not meaning to deviate from the subject at hand, just how will source installed packages be upgraded? I'd much rather get all of my programs from approved sites which makes upgrading a non issue - ala apt-get. But if I do deviate from the 'norm' will upgrading be a problem? Thanks.

P.S Tarballs have alway scared me. Don't know why but they do. I know lots of folks like them. But they scare the hell out of me. One of my many quirks.

The way to go in this case is uninstalling Gnomebaker from sources and installing a packages. If you want to uninstall it, go to the source directory where you compiled it and type

make uninstall

and you're ready to go. Then you can install a package without worrying of screwing things up.

Regards,
gamehack

lukem
March 26th, 2005, 05:37 PM
did you install cdbs using a .deb file? If not, dpkg and apt won't show it as being installed. You can always use checkinstall, or make a dummy package to make it think you have it installed with a .deb.

If you DID install it with a .deb, then I have no clue, unless you're using an older version
Thanks for the help panikedthumb. Unfortunately I could not find cdbs among my repositories and i installed from a tarball. For repositories I have universe, multiverse, main restricted, warty security universe, 3 marillats and the goedson site where I got gnomebaker. Do you know where I could get a deb for cdbs? I've thought about just waiting for hoary and trying again.
Thanks
luke

Buffalo Soldier
March 26th, 2005, 06:06 PM
At light speed the biggest gripe against Gnome is gone. Now to work on important things, like eye candy to make OSXers hurt with jealously (wobble, wobble).
Any post/reply to any anti-gnome message must be ended with -> (wobble, wobble) :)

bigzak
March 26th, 2005, 06:38 PM

Not at all. The licences are as follows:

GPL - Cannot use this code, or even link to it, from non-GPL code
LGPL - Cannot use the code in non-GPL, but can dynamically link to it from anything
BSD - Do whatever you like, but maintain credit and copyright information

poofyhairguy
March 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM
When I install anything via tarball. Am I 'locked' in.

Not completely. There is a way to wrap your tarball installs with a debian package label. I don't know how, I think installing packages by hand (as in from source) is the devil. If I was you I would delete the sucker when you find a deb....

I will comb Google for hours trying to find packages I want to in order keep myself from installing anything from the source (add in extra time for using alien to convert RPMs). So far, the only program I REALLY want to use that I can't find a compatible package for is Beagle. The day I find that deb is the day I throw a party....

I'm actually trying to make a beagle deb myself. Anything is better than source installs that apt-get doesn't see...

LongTooth
March 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I'm so glad to know there are others that feel the same way I do about tarballs/source packages. Maybe if I was to get deeper into them I wouldn't feel this way. But I find them messy. Too messy for my taste.

I want my system to be as easy to maintain and configure as possible. Apt-get does this for me. Source packages do not convey that same feeling. And so If at all possible - and that is not alway doable - I will stay from them when I can.

I don't know what I'm going to do when there is a new version of Gnomebaker (to get back to subject) in the Ubuntu repositories. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But to answer the question that started this thread, Gnomebaker is the one! The killer app that Gnomers were looking for.

Reb
March 30th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Back on the license... anyone know why Luke Biddell (the lead dev) chose LGPL instead of GPL? It doesn't matter to me, either way, it's just strange.

jdodson
March 30th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Back on the license... anyone know why Luke Biddell (the lead dev) chose LGPL instead of GPL? It doesn't matter to me, either way, it's just strange.

so he could link non-free code to gnomebaker?

if the issue bugs you that much you can use graveman. graveman is a cool program(in hoary universe) and i use it when nautilus doesnt the way it should(audio cd ripping for instance). i still use k3b still for video dvds.

Reb
March 30th, 2005, 10:43 PM
so he could link non-free code to gnomebaker?

if the issue bugs you that much you can use graveman. graveman is a cool program(in hoary universe) and i use it when nautilus doesnt the way it should(audio cd ripping for instance). i still use k3b still for video dvds.Nah... like I said, it doesn't bug me. And I understand the general reason, I was wondering about a specific one (e.g. what non-free code).

jdodson
March 30th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Nah... like I said, it doesn't bug me. And I understand the general reason, I was wondering about a specific one (e.g. what non-free code).

no idea, you could email the author though.

vaskark
April 6th, 2005, 01:23 AM
# GnomeBaker
deb http://people.debian.org/~goedson/packages/ubuntu/hoary/gnomebaker/releases/i386/ (http://people.debian.org/%7Egoedson/packages/ubuntu/hoary/gnomebaker/releases/i386/) ./

This repository isn't currently available. Can't wait for the new version - it looks really good!

lukem
April 6th, 2005, 02:19 AM

I gave up and upgraded to hoary then installed it from the other source. It's great.

Xappe
April 8th, 2005, 01:52 PM
so when is gnomebaker 0.3.1 with bin/cue support coming? i'm in the need for easy burning of bin/cue images :)

mike998
April 8th, 2005, 07:01 PM
so when is gnomebaker 0.3.1 with bin/cue support coming? i'm in the need for easy burning of bin/cue images :)

I installed K3B just to burn a bin/cue image... Now I have a bunch of KDE libs on my hdd that I don't usually use or need. I dont see bin/cue support coming any time soon on the Gnomebaker website.

Xappe
April 13th, 2005, 04:30 PM
well, I referred to the first post of this thread that states that bin/cue support is on it's way...and it even has a screenshot, so I thought it would be out soon...

goedson
April 16th, 2005, 04:28 PM
This repository isn't currently available. Can't wait for the new version - it looks really good!

It is available again. And hoary packages are now available through universe.

goedson
April 16th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Hi all,

Regards,
gamehack

And for those wanting to try it right now, I've just made a package from a CVS snapshot as of yesterday at my repository. Binaries available for Hoary and Debian Sid. See my GnomeBaker page (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/GnomeBaker) for complete URLs.

escuchamezz
April 16th, 2005, 07:35 PM
why don't you just copy K3B? wouldn't that be easier :razz:

Psquared
April 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Cool!!!

Gnomebaker works great for me. Graveman could not detect the CD/DVD on my laptop. Gnomebaker worked straight out of the box on Warty.

nharihar
April 18th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Cool!!!

Gnomebaker works great for me. Graveman could not detect the CD/DVD on my laptop. Gnomebaker worked straight out of the box on Warty.
wish I coul say the same :( The install went well (used .deb he he!!) fired up GnomeBaker. It found both drives (Toshiba DVD and Teac CD/RW) popped in a cdrw with old data and tried to blank it... the blanking window had just one word for me "Failed" ;(( will try to work on it on wed, meantime if somebody's had a similar problem please help me.

I've gotten hooked on GnomeBaker and cant live without it. Puhleeeease help me.

(will post the error log tomorrow)

ubuntu_demon
April 19th, 2005, 08:50 AM
wish I coul say the same :( The install went well (used .deb he he!!) fired up GnomeBaker. It found both drives (Toshiba DVD and Teac CD/RW) popped in a cdrw with old data and tried to blank it... the blanking window had just one word for me "Failed" ;(( will try to work on it on wed, meantime if somebody's had a similar problem please help me.

I've gotten hooked on GnomeBaker and cant live without it. Puhleeeease help me.

(will post the error log tomorrow)
did you try starting it up with sudo ?