PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem:Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode .... Need help!

Ladybird
March 16th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Hi All,

I am running Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS ( Lucid ) .
Mistakenly, I removed ( I guess all ) installed software from Ubuntu synaptic manager. Now when I start my laptop ( Lenovo X300 ) I get to the point were I see a box with the message " Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode". I followed the instructions there afterwards, but those instructions did not help in anyway.
Basically, I cannot get the desktop environment, cannot even access a terminal window ( Ctrl +Alt + t) , no internet ( no browser , no ssh etc. )

Note that when I do a Ctrl + Alt + F1 and after entering login information, I can access all files and folders in my laptop. In order to back them up I cannot connect my external hard drive ( WD my passport essential ). When I do a "ls" in /media$ there is nothing!

One other thing, in /etc I do not see "lightdm" folder on "lightdm.conf".

1. I want to get the folders and files in the laptop backed up to an external hard drive. How can I do that under the above mentioned situation ? ( Afterwards, if nothing works I have the option of installing a linux distribution from scratch.

2. Is there anyway I can get back the original desktop environment, internet access etc without compromising the data that is still in the disk.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thank you in advance,

LadyBird