PDA

View Full Version : HP 2000 series notebook

mastertig1985
March 16th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Hi everyone!
i am pretty new to Ubuntu, but I love it! I have 2 computers, an HP 2000 series notebook, currently running windows 8, and a netbook that I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on about a month or so ago. I installed it mainly because I was curious, but also because I want to teach myself programming, and was reading how friendly it is to use for that purpose, i.e. compilers, text editors, and the accessibilty of terminal. The problem is, I have since fallen in love with Ubuntu and started to hate Windows. So now I am debating ditching windows on my netbook in favor of Ubuntu. But I have a few concerns before I do that:
1) Ubuntu installed with all the drivers on my netbook without a single hitch. Everything worked out of the box. I did a quick internet search and installed some suggested updates and debs. My question is, has anyone installed updates on an HP 2000 series laptop, and if so, is it that painless on it too? Any suggestions or tips I may need? The HDMI port on it is key, so that is especially important.
2) I use my netbook for work, web browsing, and teaching myself programming, mainly Python 3. I use the notebook for downloading torrents and some light gaming. It isnt a very fast computer, 1.3 ghz dual core processor and 4 gb's of ram. I really only play the original halo online, and an older version of colin mcrae. Will wine run those games as smoothly as they do in windows? I guess the question here is does wine require more system resources to run a program than the program does natively in windows?

Thank you guys. I love the community, everyone is very helpful and friendly, and I hope to return the favor once I am an ace at it as well!

Jeff