PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problems with Various Search Tools (Catfish & gnome-search-tool)

taytaybongsong
March 12th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I have been experiencing a very odd set of problems with both the Catfish and gnome-search-tool utilities. The problems occur more consistently in Catfish search, but are still present from time to time in gnome-search-tool as well. The issue is as follows: When using either search tool, accessing an item from the list of results via the context menu, does not perform the desired action. So, for example, when I choose to open the containing folder of an item, sometimes the item itself is opened in an editor. When I choose to open an item directly, sometimes the folder which contains it is opened in my file manager. To make things worse, there is even an issue where accessing an item with either of those options, doesn’t work at all, in that, a completely different file or folder will open, which is definitely not the one I specified. These issues make using either search utility quite dangerous.

Any help remedying this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Other potentially relevant information:
- Using locate from within the terminal, or using the linelight xfce panel plugin (a graphical interface to locate) do not seem to bring up these issues.
- My laptop is a Kudu Professional from System76 (A.K.A; Clevo W670SZQ).
- I am currently running Xubuntu 13.10 as my sole OS.

taytaybongsong
March 13th, 2014, 04:49 PM
bumping for feedback.

taytaybongsong
March 14th, 2014, 02:26 AM
eh knee won?

Iowan
March 14th, 2014, 02:36 AM
While you wait for a reply, please look over the Posting Guidelines (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2158945).
In particular:

Do not bump your thread more than once in any 24 hour period. Consider waiting longer than that before bumping - this may help to catch the attention of users outside of your timezone.

taytaybongsong
March 15th, 2014, 11:55 PM
sorry about that.

taytaybongsong
March 20th, 2014, 05:25 PM
ahoy