PDA

View Full Version : It's March! Where are the countdown banners?

Dragonbite
March 12th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Less than 2 months before Ubuntu 14.04 LTS comes out. Now's when marketing needs to ramp up and build some excitement!! \\:D/

Where are the countdown banners?

Ubuntu should have an "official" location for the banner images that they update so it can be updated with a countdown.. released .. countdown next version... etc. For example, I don't have to replace my Fedora or openSUSE countdown banners because when the next release comes, the projects change the banners on their end and "viola!" my site starts counting down.

Of course one can always select the other "runner ups" to do it manually if one prefers a non-official one at least

They could even run a banner setup that just goes LTS to LTS and leave the in-betweens for people "in the know"

Who would I make this suggestion to?

AKelley
March 24th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I Agree that it would be a great addition to be able to find these at one location , prefereably through the Ubuntu Forums or Launchpad. I found a good selection here (http://mycountdown.org/tag.php?tag=ubuntu+release), I am a bit perplexed however that they have April 1st ad the release date whin in all actuality it is April 17th for the final.

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I think the April 1st is just for demonstration purposes.

The benefit of them controlling the image being displayed for each day is they could still run the contest to pick the preferred one, and once they update where the banner is being pulled from then 100s (if not 1,000s) of websites would start showing "Coming Soon!" for Ubuntu.

This would generate interest and be easy marketing via the community.

I haven't updated it lately so it is still showing "12.10 is out!" instead of "Coming soon 14.04 LTS!".

sffvba[e0rt
March 24th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Countdown banners has been a community driven thing for a long time afaik... so if nobody in the community does anything than it is likely nothing is going to happen.

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Countdown banners has been a community driven thing for a long time afaik... so if nobody in the community does anything than it is likely nothing is going to happen.

So how would one, never involved in any projects before, get involved?

mattlach
March 24th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I - for one - am looking forward to testing the final release on my Nexus 7.

If I feel ambitious I'll get around to ugrading my 12.04 LTS server.

If I feel even more ambitious, I'll replace my desktop install of Mint 16 with a 14.04 Xubuntu install (replacing XFCE with Cinnamon, of course!)

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2014, 07:42 PM
What does this have to do with countdown banners?

sffvba[e0rt
March 24th, 2014, 08:00 PM
So how would one, never involved in any projects before, get involved?

If I had any idea how to create one I would, but I don't :/

mattlach
March 24th, 2014, 08:10 PM
What does this have to do with countdown banners?

My bad, slightly off topic. It is a post about looking forward to the new release, and I drifted a bit.

fishbaitbytes
April 2nd, 2014, 07:53 AM
Take a look at this one: http://luisaravelli.net/countdown/

mastablasta
April 2nd, 2014, 12:30 PM
it doesn't work in IE8.