PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 install "sits" at the "Continue" screen

movrshakr
March 10th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Installing 12.04 from DVD onto an older laptop which had an earlier version of ubuntu running on it.

It proceeds normally through the first steps, but at the screen where you check to install updates and to install 3rd party items, after clicking Continue, the spinning cursor appears, and that's all that happens. Have tried starting from scratch twice, and the last time, let it sit there for two hours. It never proceeds to any other screen.

grahammechanical
March 10th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Try moving the install window to the side. You might then see a dialog box that is waiting for you to authorise something.

movrshakr
March 10th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I don't understand that at all...how can you move the window?
To me it seems like there is only one window showing and it takes up the whole screen.

LATER: ah, it dawns on me what you meant; sorry, was a dense moment there. I have moved on from there through a very long and commplicated steps to end up with a "working" 10.04 on the machine--but with no wireless whatsoever. Have seen that before, but do not remember how I solved it. i do remember it took a LONG time (like six months) trying MANY different suggested fixes.

Consider this closed as I have moved on beyond it into different problem.