PDA

View Full Version : The Linux Foundation class "Introduction to Linux" will open for free on an edX MOOC

bapoumba
March 10th, 2014, 03:11 PM
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2014/03/linux-foundation-build-massive-open-online-course-program-edx
https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

This used to be a $2,400 training program and will open sometimes this summer. They'll offer a free certificate of completion (your can also simply follow the course and not do any of the required work that will take up to 40-60h). Registered :)

PondPuppy
March 10th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks for this! "...nine in 10 hiring managers are hiring Linux pro’s in the next six months..." Really!

germanix
March 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM
The Linux foundation are offering free online learning courses using the Edx learning platform. The first course is an 40-60 hour course with the title "Introduction to linux".
See the link below for full details.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2014/03/linux-foundation-build-massive-open-online-course-program-edx

sorry, see this was already posted by "papoumba"

philinux
March 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Merged

PondPuppy
March 12th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Unless I misunderstand, the course can be audited for free but to receive a certificate of completion there is a donation required, with a $250 minimum? Far less than the previous $2,400 fee mentioned by Bapoumba, though!

Dragonbite
March 12th, 2014, 03:32 PM
It's an Introduction to Linux course, but should be interesting. I want to take (audit) it!

bapoumba
March 15th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Unless I misunderstand, the course can be audited for free but to receive a certificate of completion there is a donation required, with a $250 minimum? Far less than the previous $2,400 fee mentioned by Bapoumba, though!

Thanks for pointing this out. Indeed.

mastertig1985
March 16th, 2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah this is awesome +1 signed up

Warpnow
March 17th, 2014, 11:55 PM
$250 is still five times more than the average edX course, though. If it were a more advanced class I might would pay $250 but a certificate on the basics I can't see doing much to a resume, which is the primary reason for paying the $250 rather than going the free route.

PondPuppy
March 18th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Yes -- the certification is not much good for my work, so I've signed up to audit. Since I am a user of Linux but not a knower of Linux.

PondPuppy
April 4th, 2014, 06:55 PM
*bump* The class says "starts third quarter" -- I thought it would be academic quarter, ie, spring term. Not this spring term apparently. Got a recent email saying "over the next few months we'll fine-tune course materials". Anybody have a firm date for when the course opens?

bapoumba
April 4th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I received the same email. I was under the impression it would start sometime this summer, but I may be wrong.

QDR06VV9
April 4th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I received the same email. I was under the impression it would start sometime this summer, but I may be wrong.
Same Here!
Over 100,000 Registered(impressive;))

bapoumba
April 4th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Same Here!
Over 100,000 Registered(impressive;))

Yes :)
What you probably know is that there is a heavy dropout in MOOCs. In any case, 10% remaining would mean 10,000 addicts..

PartisanEntity
April 4th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I took the audit option for now.

bapoumba
April 4th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I took the audit option for now.

May be we can team up :)

PondPuppy
April 5th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I took the audit option as well -- maybe a forum thread for Q&A once the course gets rolling?

bapoumba
April 5th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I took the audit option as well -- maybe a forum thread for Q&A once the course gets rolling?

A MOOC also lives because of its community base. They usually setup forums within the MOOC to have the community work together and sometimes even set up peer grading. I guess it will depend on the dynamics of the community and the tools they will use.

PartisanEntity
April 5th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to switch to the certified registration once the course starts? I would generally be interested in Linux certification but would like to get a taste of the course once it starts before I commit to paying and getting certified. Is that possible at all? (At the moment I signed up and chose the audit option)

bapoumba
April 5th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Anyone know if it is possible to switch to the certified registration once the course starts? I would generally be interested in Linux certification but would like to get a taste of the course once it starts before I commit to paying and getting certified. Is that possible at all? (At the moment I signed up and chose the audit option)
I do not know TBH and skimmed again over the different policies and rules and FAQs. What they say is that you can get a refund within 14 days after the course begins.

King Dude
April 23rd, 2014, 07:47 PM

Free Linux training coming soon :)

bapoumba
April 23rd, 2014, 07:58 PM
Sorry King Dude, merged your thread in here :)

fkkroundabout
May 3rd, 2014, 10:44 PM
looks good. i tried the introduction to computer science course. it was teaching a little C which i don't know any of, but i found it difficult to feel deeply interested in. i hope this will engage me, thanks for sharing

Alley_Oop
May 26th, 2014, 06:36 PM
There is now an on-line Beginners Linux course being offered by (https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621#.U4N31XVdUXc)edX (https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621#.U4N31XVdUXc).

You may take this course FREE of charge unless you want/need the course certificate upon completion with a 75% or higher grade.

The course will involve watching videos, suggested reading materials and on-line discussion groups.

Note: edX calls taking a course free, "Auditing". So if you don't need the certificate and want to take it FREE select AUDIT if/when asked.
Note: you will have to register to take this course.

Starting date is August 1, 2014

These posts do not really belong in "The Cafe" but a moderator put them here for some reason. If anything they should have been moved to "Tutorials".

bapoumba
May 26th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Threads merged.

wildmanne39
May 26th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Registered!

bapoumba
May 27th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Registered!

:)

bapoumba
June 2nd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Had an email this morning from the Linux Foundation, the course should open on August 1st, 2014.
Welcoming video from L. Torvalds himself : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmDricQGK6w
:)

chamira
July 29th, 2014, 03:24 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since around 2008 and still consider myself a n00b when it comes to doing anything on the terminal.

There is a free course given by the Linux Foundation through EdX that others might be interested in: https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

I have taken Coursera & EdX courses before and they are amazing for their content, the teachers and the effort and money that has been spent to deliver them.

SuperFreak
July 29th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I signed up too. Presently taking a course in Cryptography from Coursera but I have to admit it is a bit beyond me. I have been auditing courses from Coursera and EDex as there is no charge this way and if I can't reach full comprehension of a subject it has cost me nil (except time)but I may still gain new insights

By the way you can also pay for the Linux course (or any other EdEx or Cousera course) and if you pass you get certification from that university for the course

chamira
July 29th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Great, I will see you on the forums there!

Yes, as you say, anyone can take it for free or pay for a verified certificate.

One commenter mentioned that they had taken this course and it was good enough to get through the LPI Linux Essentials exam.

I have to say the Jazz Appreciation course was awesome! :guitar:

bapoumba
July 29th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Threads merged.

sffvba[e0rt
August 3rd, 2014, 10:29 PM
Enrolled and busy with this course. What a wonderful time we live in to have all of these opportunities!

seth19
March 27th, 2015, 03:42 PM
For those that have gotten into this course, would you say that you definitely recommend it, as I'm new to Linux and want to learn as much as possible. I just wonder how familiar you get with Linux from this class? I went through the introduction and first couple of videos. Seems like it could be good?

bapoumba
March 28th, 2015, 01:24 PM
If you are new to Linux, this course can be very informative and useful.