print "That's not a valid command!"

What should I write in there? I wanted to execute these two commands:

cd /home/projects/
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Thank you in advance.

Vaphell
March 10th, 2014, 11:10 AM
http://docs.python.org/2/library/subprocess.html#module-subprocess

that said, if these 2 lines are all that needs to happen, why not a bash script?

Carl H
March 10th, 2014, 12:52 PM
You need == for your if statement

if choose == "y":

nunecas123
March 10th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Edited.

ssam
March 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM
You ask for 'Y' or 'N', but check for 'y' or 'n'. You should probably make it case insensitive, eg

if choose.lower() == "y":

lower() will convert there input to lowercase, or leave it untouched if it already is.

ofnuts
March 10th, 2014, 05:02 PM
What should I write in there? I wanted to execute these two commands:

cd /home/projects/
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
You can't execute the CD has a command, because it will be executed in a subprocess and the directory change will happen in the context of the subprocess. When you execute the "sudo dpkg", this will happen in another subprocess, and the current directory will be the one of your python script. You have to change the current directory of the python script using os.chdir('/home/projects').

nunecas123
March 11th, 2014, 10:36 AM
You can't execute the CD has a command, because it will be executed in a subprocess and the directory change will happen in the context of the subprocess. When you execute the "sudo dpkg", this will happen in another subprocess, and the current directory will be the one of your python script. You have to change the current directory of the python script using os.chdir('/home/projects').

OK. And how do I do the rest?

Carl H
March 11th, 2014, 10:50 AM
There are several ways that you can pass commands to the operating system in Python. As well as subprocess, have a look at the os module :- http://docs.python.org/2/library/os.html

You might also want to consider gksudo instead of sudo.

It might be easier to help if you could explain what exactly it is that you are trying to do.